Finding The Concentration Of An Ion

In summary: If you don't mix it at all, H+ and OH- will still react, but very slowly because of low concentration. If you want to know how fast the concentration changes you can measure it, but that's not what you asked. You asked for a initial concentration of H+ in the reaction. There is no such thing, because it is same as in the two solutions before mixing - there is no reaction before mixing.
Plutonium88
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
If I have a balanced chemical reactoin, for example

KOH + HBr ==> H2O + KBr

And I am given the concentration and volume of both KOH and HBr, how is it possible to determine the concentration of one of the ions from the net ionic equation?

H + OH ==> H2O

Physics news on Phys.org
In this particular case you will need to combine stoichiometry (hint: limiting reagent) with water autodissociation (water ion product).

Borek said:
In this particular case you will need to combine stoichiometry (hint: limiting reagent) with water autodissociation (water ion product).

Sorry for placing this in the wrong thread.

So basically find the limiting reagent between KOH And KBR, to determine the concentration of H2O from that, and then using H2O to find the concentration of OH?

Then using the water autodissociation

Kw = 1*10^(-14)mol^2/L^2 (assuming room temperature)

where [OH][H] = Kw

[H] = Kw/[OH]

Plutonium88 said:
So basically find the limiting reagent between KOH And KBR, to determine the concentration of H2O from that, and then using H2O to find the concentration of OH?

No, concentration of H2O is (almost) constant. The only thing you need to check is the concentration of excess H+ or excess OH-. It may happen there is no excess of either - but then the problem is trivial.

I'm going to restate the question with the given information, can you tell me if I am on the right track?

In an experiment 0.5L of 0.020 mol/L of KOH is rapidly mixed with an equal volume of 0.020 mol/L of HBr. What is the initial concentration of H+.

I Specifically need the concentration of [H+] at t = 0 to solve a 2nd order rate reaction. For the rate reaction i am given the constant K and the value of the concentration [H+] at time t.

t = 1/k*(1/[H+]t - 1/[H+]0)So:

KOH + HBr = > H2O + Kbr

I am assuming that because KOH and HBr have the same concentrations and volumes that regardless of whether i use KOH or HBr to find the concentration of H2O i will get the same concentration.

[H2O] = 0.02 MOL KOH / L KOH * 1Mol H2O/1MolKOH
[H2O] = 0.02 MOL/L

From the net ionic equation

H+ + OH- = H2O

[H+] = [H2O] = 0.02 MOL/L

where this is the concentration at time t = 0

There is misconception here and there is no meaningful experiment for such a reaction to be done. "KOH" is merely a manner of speaking, in a solution called e is only K+ and OH-. KBr is same thing and HBr pretty nearly. Reaction of H+ with OH- that happens when you mix these solutions is orders of magnitude faster that. You con follow by ordinary means.

epenguin said:
There is misconception here and there is no meaningful experiment for such a reaction to be done. "KOH" is merely a manner of speaking, in a solution called e is only K+ and OH-. KBr is same thing and HBr pretty nearly. Reaction of H+ with OH- that happens when you mix these solutions is orders of magnitude faster that. You con follow by ordinary means.

I don't entirely understand what you are saying in the post. What I am taking from what you said is when you mix KOH and KBr the reaction of OH and H happens as a result, which can be shown from the net ionic equation right? What I'm trying to find though, is an initial concentration of H+ so that i can determine how long it takes for the concentration of H+ to decrease to a certain amount. And I'm presuming I have to find the initial concentration of H+ using the concentrations of KOH and KBr?

I am saying that when you mix these two things essentially all the chemical reaction that happens is the one you called net ionic reaction.
This is the fastest chemical reaction known, instantaneous equilibrium for ordinary purposes. So only thing limiting rate of concentration change in any part of your reaction vessel is speed of mixing.

1. What is the concentration of an ion?

The concentration of an ion refers to the amount of that particular ion present in a solution. It is typically measured in moles per liter (M) or parts per million (ppm).

2. How is the concentration of an ion determined?

The concentration of an ion can be determined through various methods, such as titration, spectrophotometry, or ion-selective electrodes. These methods involve measuring the amount of the ion present in a solution and using mathematical calculations to determine its concentration.

3. Why is finding the concentration of an ion important?

Knowing the concentration of an ion is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It can help determine the properties and behavior of a solution, as well as its potential effects on living organisms and the environment.

4. What factors can affect the concentration of an ion in a solution?

The concentration of an ion in a solution can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, pH, and the presence of other ions or molecules. Changes in these factors can alter the equilibrium of the ion and therefore change its concentration.

5. How can the concentration of an ion be controlled or adjusted?

The concentration of an ion in a solution can be controlled or adjusted through various methods, such as dilution, precipitation, or chemical reactions. These methods involve manipulating the amount of the ion present in the solution to achieve a desired concentration.