Rank Electronegativity Pairings

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electronegativity and how it relates to the elements Br, K, and H in the compounds Br2, KBr, and HBr. The question is how to rank these compounds based on electronegativity without knowing the specific values for each element. It is explained that electronegativity is a property of an element, not a bond or substance, and that the difference in electronegativity between two elements can be estimated by looking at their positions on the periodic table. It is also suggested that it would be beneficial to have a thorough understanding of electronegativity values for different elements in chemistry.
Lori

Homework Statement

Br2, KBr, and HBr

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that Br2 would be least electronegative because they both equally share the electrons, but i don't understand why KBr is more electronegative than HBr. This question was on my quiz, and i wasn't given a table of the electronegatives, so i had to think about it.

Can someone explain how i could find out if one is more electronegative than the other based on the periodic table? Is there like a periodic table trend for electronegativity for bond pairs?

Thanks[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you are confused about something. Electronegativity is a property of an element, not of a bond or a substance. Perhaps what you mean is just the difference between electronegativities of the elements involved? If so, it just about subtracting them, no need to look for any explanation.

Borek said:
Looks to me like you are confused about something. Electronegativity is a property of an element, not of a bond or a substance. Perhaps what you mean is just the difference between electronegativities of the elements involved? If so, it just about subtracting them, no need to look for any explanation.
I think that's the case. But, it was on my pop quiz for chem and we were told to rank the pairs based on electronegativity. The problem was I didn't* get the electronegative numbers for each element.

Is there a rule to like estimate the differences? I know that Br2 is least electronegative since the difference is 0

Does anyone know how i can figure out the ranking without knowing the electronegativity values? Perhaps, there is something conceptually i don't know about? I'm confused on how i know the Hbr is less electronegative than Kbr

Lori said:
Does anyone know how i can figure out the ranking without knowing the electronegativity values? Perhaps, there is something conceptually i don't know about? I'm confused on how i know the Hbr is less electronegative than Kbr

Hey Lori! :oldsmile:

Consider that the periodic system looks like the following with electronegativity.
And note that H and K are both in group 1, and K and Br are both in period 4.

H
##\uparrow## (increasing electronegativity)
K ##\rightarrow## (increasing electronegativity) Br

From this diagram we can conclude that the difference between Br and K must be greater than the difference between Br and H.

Likes Lori
Lori said:
The problem was I didn't* get the electronegative numbers for each element.

Its chemistry, you should have learned them by heart :-)

1. What is electronegativity?

Electronegativity is the measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons towards itself in a covalent bond.

2. How is electronegativity measured?

Electronegativity is measured on the Pauling scale, named after chemist Linus Pauling, using a value between 0 and 4. The higher the value, the more electronegative the element is.

3. What are the most electronegative elements?

The most electronegative elements are fluorine (F), oxygen (O), chlorine (Cl), and nitrogen (N). These elements are located in the top right corner of the periodic table.

4. How do you determine the electronegativity pairing between two elements?

The electronegativity pairing between two elements is determined by calculating the difference in electronegativity values between the two elements. The larger the difference, the more polar the bond will be.

5. Why is understanding electronegativity pairings important?

Understanding electronegativity pairings is important because it helps predict the type of bonding and polarity in chemical compounds, as well as the reactivity and behavior of molecules in different reactions.