Finding the Concentration of Triiodide

In summary, the conversation is about finding the concentration of I3- in a test tube containing I3- and KI. The question is whether the KI will dilute the I3- or if it will form I3- once in solution. The person initially calculated the concentration assuming dilution by the KI, but their professor said this was incorrect. They are seeking additional help.
maknott

Homework Statement

Stupid question but I'm not sure about it.

In lab we added I3- and KI into a test tube and from this we have find the concentration of I3- in the final volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the I3- be diluted by the KI that was added or does the KI end up forming i3- once in solution? I know that I- will form I3- if I2 is present but what about if just I3- is present. Originally I just calculated the concentration assuming the I3- would be diluted by the volume of KI but my professor said that was not correct...

Any help would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is triiodide and why is it important to find its concentration?

Triiodide is a chemical compound composed of three iodine atoms bound together. It is important to find its concentration because it is a commonly used reagent in chemical reactions and its concentration can greatly affect the outcome of these reactions.

2. What methods can be used to find the concentration of triiodide?

There are several methods that can be used to find the concentration of triiodide, including titration, spectrophotometry, and colorimetry. These methods involve measuring the amount of triiodide present in a solution and using mathematical equations to calculate the concentration.

3. How does titration work in finding the concentration of triiodide?

In titration, a known concentration of a reagent is added to a solution containing triiodide until a chemical reaction occurs. The volume of the reagent needed to completely react with the triiodide is used to calculate the concentration of the triiodide solution.

4. What is spectrophotometry and how is it used to find the concentration of triiodide?

Spectrophotometry is a technique that measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample at different wavelengths. By measuring the absorbance of a triiodide solution at a specific wavelength, its concentration can be determined using the Beer-Lambert law.

5. Are there any potential sources of error when finding the concentration of triiodide?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error when finding the concentration of triiodide. These can include inaccurate measurements, contamination of solutions, and incomplete reactions. It is important to carefully follow experimental procedures and use proper techniques to minimize these errors.