Molecular iodine in ethanol solution

• Thread starter dddd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ethanol
dddd
Hello everyone,
Does iodine specie change after diluting in ethanol 99%? I’m talking about I-, KI or other kinds of of iodine species. Or it stays in I2 form?
I’m looking to make 1% I2 molecular iodine ethanol solution from iodine crystals.
Would the ratio be 10 g per 1 liter?

Thank you all for all inputs.

David

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How do you mean, "change"? Best I can understand, when dissolved in ethanol, the molecular iodine is as I2.

But aside from that, you are not handling the concentration calculation properly.
That part seems ok. 10% of 1000 ml. is 100. 10% of 100 is 10. So, okay 10 grams solid iodine to dissolve in 1000 ml. ethanol.

Thank you,
I wasn’t sure since I2 molecular iodine is very reactive and does change as a specie, depending on the solution.
For example…. When you orally ingest I2 in aqueous solution, it changes in your body from Iodine I2 to Iodide I-.
If I understand this correctly.

I also wonder when you dilute the ethanol solution in water, does it then change from I2 to some form of iodide or iodate.

dddd said:
I also wonder when you dilute the ethanol solution in water, does it then change from I2 to some form of iodide or iodate.
I do not believe so; but other members may have more refined knowledge.

Likes dddd
Some of that more refined knowledge I mention from other members could be, does iodine when dissolved (either in an alcohol or in water ) go through something like this?
2 I2 <---> I3+ + I-

symbolipoint said:
2 I2 <---> I3+ + I-
I don't remember hearing about stable I3+, I3-, on the other hand, is quite common and used to increase iodine solubility in water in the presence of iodides:

I2 + I- ↔ I3-

This is an equilibrium reaction, so in a way I2 is "still there" and the solution is still highly reactive, just like I2.

Yes, I believe you describe the Lugols solution.
That’s 5% I2, 10% KI as potassium iodide.

I wonder(in this case) what happens after you add the 99% ethanol I2 solution back to water, let’s say 10 drops.

Does it change its chemical structure? Or is it just molecular iodine I2 in water.

I could not find any information online about this.

dddd said:
Yes, I believe you describe the Lugols solution.
That’s 5% I2, 10% KI as potassium iodide.

Yes, but not only, iodine in KI is used as a titrant in iodometry and as a reagent whenever you need more iodine than the typical water solution can contain.

dddd said:
Or is it just molecular iodine I2 in water.

More or less.

This is never exactly trivial, solute is always solvated (surrounded by the solvent molecules that are weakly bound by Van der Waals forces). This is not considered to be a change in the structure nor described as a chemical reaction, but the boundary is not sharp.

Likes BillTre
Yes, so much we don’t know.
Thank you.

I2 in water does have a potential route to dissociate. First step:
I2+H2O↔HIO+H++I-
rapidly followed by
3HIO→HIO3+2HI
with the net total
3I2+3H2O↔6H++5I-+IO3-
However, this is an equilibrium reaction. I understand that in neutral or mildly acidic conditions, the equilibrium is on the side of I2, with little HIO or IO3- present in comparison. It is addition of base that shifts the reaction towards iodate.
Also when you have ethanol, you have the potential for reactions like:
  1. CH3CH2OH+2I2+H2O=CH3COOH+4HI
  2. CH3COOH+3I2=CI3COOH+3HI
  3. CI3COOH=CI3H+CO2
But this haloform reaction seems to also need base to go ahead. Iodine tincture is regarded as stable. At what pH does haloform reaction start, at least as unwanted side reaction? (You would probably use more base if you want the haloform reaction to go to completion. Which you can.)

Thank you!

That’s interesting!
When you say more base, you mean dissolve the iodine crystals in more ethanol?
Or iodine/ethanol drops in more water?

Also would my calculation be accurate to add 10 grams of I2 to 1 liter of ethanol to make 1% solution?

Last thing…
So do you think that I2 ethanolic solution changes when added to water or not?

Sorry for my lack of understanding the professional language.
I’m a total amateur in this department.

dddd said:
Thank you!

That’s interesting!
When you say more base, you mean dissolve the iodine crystals in more ethanol?
Or iodine/ethanol drops in more water?
No. Something like NaOH. Or even a weaker base, like Na2CO3.
dddd said:
Also would my calculation be accurate to add 10 grams of I2 to 1 liter of ethanol to make 1% solution?
No. Because % would refer either to volume % (not straightforward, volume is not conserved on addition), or mass % (mass, unlike volume, is conserved).
The density of 100% ethanol at 20 C is 789 g/l, not 990 g/l. To get 1% iodine solution, you would need to add 1 g of iodine to 99 g solvent. Thus 7,97 g iodine to 789 g (1 l) ethanol.
dddd said:
Last thing…
So do you think that I2 ethanolic solution changes when added to water or not?
Not seriously.
I tried to track down just how much of iodine is in the form of acids in pure aqueous solution.
The total solubility at 20 C is quoted in the range of 0,25 to 0,3 g iodine per 1000 g of water. All sources agree that it is overwhelmingly molecular I2 in the absence of bases; one source that offered numbers gave less than 0,01 g/l of iodine in the acid form (under 4% of the small amount of total iodine).
In pure ethanol, the solubility is in the region of 270 g I2 per 1000 g solvent, all of it as I2. Adding water would still leave most of iodine as I2.
What would change things if you add a iodide or especially, if you add a base.

Amazing and detailed answer!

That’s my goal, to create a solution with mostly iodine (I 2) without adding any iodides, potassium, sodium etc…

I knew the solubility of I2 un water was insufficient, but wasn’t sure about reaction of ethanolic I2 with water later on.Thank you so much.
I really appreciate your input.

dddd,

Use the correct notation. None of that I2, or I 2. Make use of the available subscripting from the tool bar or using the tags. Molecular Iodine, the diatomic elemental iodine, capital "I" and a subscripted "2" at the right.
I2, iodine
"I" left square brack sub right square brack "2" left square brack forwardslash sub right square brack
(the quotation marks to not be included)

Sure thing .Understand.
Sorry for the use of incorrect notion.

What is molecular iodine in ethanol solution used for?

Molecular iodine in ethanol solution is commonly used as an antiseptic for cleaning and disinfecting minor wounds, cuts, and abrasions. It is also used in various chemical experiments and reactions, particularly in organic synthesis, where it can act as a catalyst or a reactant.

How is molecular iodine in ethanol solution prepared?

To prepare a solution of molecular iodine in ethanol, iodine crystals are dissolved in ethanol at a desired concentration. Typically, the solution is prepared by adding a specific amount of iodine to ethanol and stirring until the iodine is completely dissolved. The concentration of the solution can vary depending on the intended use.

What are the safety considerations when handling molecular iodine in ethanol solution?

When handling molecular iodine in ethanol solution, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear such as gloves and goggles, as the solution can be irritating to the skin and eyes. Additionally, it should be used in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhalation of fumes. It is also important to store the solution in a cool, dark place and in a container that is resistant to breakage and chemical corrosion.

Can molecular iodine in ethanol solution be used for treating water?

While molecular iodine in ethanol solution can be effective in killing bacteria and viruses, its use for treating drinking water is not recommended due to the presence of ethanol, which can be harmful if ingested. For water purification purposes, other forms of iodine or different disinfection methods are more suitable and safer for consumption.

What is the shelf life of molecular iodine in ethanol solution?

The shelf life of molecular iodine in ethanol solution can vary depending on factors such as the concentration of iodine, the quality and type of ethanol used, and storage conditions. Generally, when stored properly in a sealed container away from light and heat, the solution can remain effective for several years. However, it is advisable to check the solution periodically for any signs of degradation or changes in appearance.