Finding the corrected coefficients of your target

• Thread starter learningastronomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficients
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the corrected coefficients for extinction and standard transformation, as well as how to use Bouguer's law to calculate the magnitude of a target spectral A0V. The speaker also mentions their struggle to find resources on this topic and asks for recommendations for a book that covers it in detail.
learningastronomy
Summary:: Finding the corrected coefficients

Suppose you obtained the following magnitude results based off your observations from standard stars: ##\kappa_0 = 0.65##, ##\kappa_1 = 0.10##, ##\alpha_0 = 2.00##, ##\alpha_1 = 0.05##, where ##\kappa_0,\kappa_1## are the extinction coefficients and ##\alpha_0, \alpha_1## are the standard transformation coefficients.

For the target spectral A0V you got the following uncorrected ##v^A_V = 9.00## extinction instrumental magnitude (V-band).

1. Find the corrected extinction instrumental magnitude.
2. Now find a calibrated magnitude of the target (V).After googling around, there is very little information and examples of extinction coefficients and standard transformation and even my book talks about it but doesn't provide any examples.

Anyways, what I know thus far is that for the spectral A0V has B-V color of zero and for Bouguer’s law we have ##m_{\lambda}^A=m_{\lambda}+[\kappa_0+\kappa_1 (B-V)]X## where ##X## is the air mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
learningastronomy said:
Summary:: Finding the corrected coefficients

Suppose you obtained the following magnitude results based off your observations from standard stars: ##\kappa_0 = 0.65##, ##\kappa_1 = 0.10##, ##\alpha_0 = 2.00##, ##\alpha_1 = 0.05##, where ##\kappa_0,\kappa_1## are the extinction coefficients and ##\alpha_0, \alpha_1## are the standard transformation coefficients.

For the target spectral A0V you got the following uncorrected ##v^A_V = 9.00## extinction instrumental magnitude (V-band).

1. Find the corrected extinction instrumental magnitude.
2. Now find a calibrated magnitude of the target (V).After googling around, there is very little information and examples of extinction coefficients and standard transformation and even my book talks about it but doesn't provide any examples.

Anyways, what I know thus far is that for the spectral A0V has B-V color of zero and for Bouguer’s law we have ##m_{\lambda}^A=m_{\lambda}+[\kappa_0+\kappa_1 (B-V)]X## where ##X## is the air mass.
Is this a schoolwork question similar to this one?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/signal-to-noise-ratio.995269/#post-6408801

If so, I can move your thread to the schoolwork forums for you.

Likes berkeman
Anyone know a good book that talks about this topic in detail?

1. What is the purpose of finding the corrected coefficients of my target?

Finding the corrected coefficients of your target is important in scientific research as it allows for more accurate and reliable results. These coefficients represent the relationship between different variables and can help identify patterns or trends in the data.

2. How do I find the corrected coefficients of my target?

The process of finding the corrected coefficients of your target involves using statistical methods such as regression analysis or correlation analysis. These methods use mathematical equations to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between variables.

3. What factors can affect the corrected coefficients of my target?

There are several factors that can affect the corrected coefficients of your target, including sample size, outliers, and the type of data being analyzed. It is important to carefully consider these factors and adjust for them in order to obtain accurate coefficients.

4. Can the corrected coefficients of my target change over time?

Yes, the corrected coefficients of your target can change over time as new data is collected or as different variables are introduced. It is important to regularly review and update these coefficients to ensure the accuracy of your research.

5. How can I use the corrected coefficients of my target in my research?

The corrected coefficients of your target can be used to make predictions or draw conclusions about the relationship between variables in your research. They can also be used to develop models or theories that can be tested and refined in future studies.