Finding the Cost of a Gift: Solving a Fractional Payment Dilemma

• MHB
  • Thread starter Johnx1
  • Start date
In summary, the average cost of a gift for a friend is typically between $20 to $50, but it ultimately depends on the relationship and type of gift. Factors to consider when determining the cost include budget, occasion, and recipient's preferences. It is polite to spend a similar amount as the person spent on a gift for you, but the thought and meaning behind the gift is more important than the cost. Homemade or inexpensive gifts are acceptable, as long as they are thoughtful and meaningful. If you cannot afford a gift, there are still ways to show your appreciation and celebrate your friendship.
Johnx1
Devi, Sam and Nora shared the cost of a gift for their friend. The amount Devi and Sam paid was 3/10 of the cost and the amount Sam and Nora paid was 7/10 of the cost. Devi paid 5.85 dollars and Nora paid 13.80 dollars more than Devi. How much did sam pay?

My work:

How much Devi paid = D
How much Sam paid = S
How much Nora paid = N
Total money the spent = C

We Know D + S = 3/10C

We Know S + N = 7/10C

We know D spent 5.85. So, D = 5.85

We know N spend 13.80 more than D. So N = D + 13.80Then I did elimination:

19.65 + S = 7/10C
- 5.85 + S = 3/10C
------------------------------
= 13.80 = 4/10C

So, C =34.50.We are looking for how much sam paid, so then I did this below.

5.85 + Sam = 3/10(34.5)

Sam = 4.50

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question?! If you are asking if this is correct, it is not that hard to check:

You have arrived at the solution that Devi paid 5.85, Sam paid 4.50, Nora paid 19.65, and the total paid was 5.85+ 4.50+ 19.65= 30.

"The amount Devi and Sam paid was 3/10 of the cost"
Devi and Sam together paid 5.85+ 4.50= 10.35. That is NOT 3/10 of 30.

"the amount Sam and Nora paid was 7/10 of the cost."
Sam and Nora together paid 4.50+ 19.65= 24.15. That is NOT 7/10 of 30.

Here is how I would do it, letting D, S, and N be the amount each paid:

"The amount Devi and Sam paid was 3/10 of the cost" so D+ S= (3/10)(D+ S+ N). We can write that as 10(D+ S)= 3(D+ S+ N), 10D+ 10S= 3D+ 3S+ 3N, 7D+ 7S- 3N= 0.

"The amount Sam and Nora paid was 7/10 of the cost" so S+ N= (7/10)(D+ S+ N). We can write that as 10(S+ N)= 7(D+ S+ N), 10S+ 10N= 7D+ 7S+ 7N, 3S+3N- 7D= 0.

"Devi paid 5.85 dollars and Nora paid 13.80 dollars more than Devi." Well this makes the previous two equations almost trivial! (If this is consistent- we have effectively four equations in three unknowns. Solutions to three of the equations might not work in the fourth.)
D= 5.85 and N= 5.85+ 13.80= 19.65 so the previous two equations become:
7D+ 7S- 3N= 40.95+ 7S- 58.95= 0 so 7S= 18. S= 18/7= 2.57... (that is a repeating decimal.)
3S+ 3N- 7D= 3S+ 58.95- 40.95= 3S+ 18= 0. S= -6 which not only does not match the previous value, it makes no sense as an amount paid. This is a bad problem- the given informarion is not consistent!

Country Boy said:
Do you have a question?! If you are asking if this is correct, it is not that hard to check:

You have arrived at the solution that Devi paid 5.85, Sam paid 4.50, Nora paid 19.65, and the total paid was 5.85+ 4.50+ 19.65= 30.

My mistake, I should have asked in the question if I was heading the right path with the algebraic expression I created? :-)

In the book, Sam answer was $4.50.

Thank you for clearing up the problem.

The problem says that "Devi paid 5.85 dollars and Nora paid 13.80 dollars more than Devi." So Nora paid 13.80+ 5.85= 19.65. If Sam paid 4.50 then the total cost was 5.85+ 19.65+ 4.50= 30. 7/10 of 30 is 21 but Sam and Nora paid 19.65+ 4.50= 24.19, NOT 21! That is incorrect.

Related to Finding the Cost of a Gift: Solving a Fractional Payment Dilemma

What is the average cost of a gift for a friend?

The average cost of a gift for a friend can vary greatly depending on the type of gift and the relationship between the giver and the recipient. However, a general guideline is to spend around $20 to $50 on a gift for a close friend.

What factors should be considered when determining the cost of a gift for a friend?

Some factors to consider when determining the cost of a gift for a friend include your budget, the occasion, and the recipient's preferences and interests. It is also important to consider the level of your friendship and the importance of the occasion.

Should the cost of a gift for a friend be equal to the cost of a gift they gave me?

There is no set rule for this, but it is generally considered polite to spend a similar amount on a gift as the person spent on a gift for you. However, the most important factor is to give a gift that is thoughtful and meaningful, regardless of the cost.

Is it okay to give a gift that is homemade or inexpensive?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to give a homemade or inexpensive gift for a friend. What matters most is the thought and effort put into the gift, rather than the cost. Your friend will appreciate the time and creativity you put into making or choosing a gift just for them.

What should I do if I cannot afford a gift for my friend?

If you cannot afford to buy a gift for your friend, there are still thoughtful and meaningful ways to show your appreciation and celebrate your friendship. You can write a heartfelt letter, offer to do something special for them, or give them a small token of friendship such as a homemade card or baked goods.