Finding the density inside a tank as air escapes

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding an expression for the density of air in a tank of constant volume, with the air being discharged at a constant rate. The initial density and volumetric rate are given, and the mass conservation equation is used to solve for the density in the tank at any given time. However, there may be errors in the given equation as the units are not consistent. The suggestion is made to use common symbols and explain them to avoid confusion.
Lee Cousins

Homework Statement

A tank of constant volume V contains air at an initial density pi. Air is discharged isothermally from the tank at a constant volumetric rate of Q (with SI units of m^3/s). Assuming that the discharged air has the same density as that of the air in the tank, find an expression for the density in the tank, p(t).

There's also a diagram of the circular control volume V with one outlet which air escapes at Q.

Homework Equations

Mass conservation equation is integral of (p dv) + integral of (pv*dA) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the equation down to dp/dt = (-pi*Q)/V but that's not right so I'm not sure what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee Cousins said:

Homework Equations

Mass conservation equation is integral of (p dv) + integral of (pv*dA) = 0

There must be something wrong with this equation. The two summands have different dimensions.

Plus I suggest to use the common symbols. The density's symbol is ##\rho## (rho), whereas ##p## stands for the pressure. Also the symbol ##v## is confusing (I suppose it should be the velocity). However, try to use the common symbols and also explain them in the text, if they could be ambiguously (##v## also could be the specific volume, then ##\int p dv## would be something completely different).

stockzahn said:
There must be something wrong with this equation. The two summands have different dimensions.

Plus I suggest to use the common symbols. The density's symbol is ##\rho## (rho), whereas ##p## stands for the pressure. Also the symbol ##v## is confusing (I suppose it should be the velocity). However, try to use the common symbols and also explain them in the text, if they could be ambiguously (##v## also could be the specific volume, then ##\int p dv## would be something completely different).

Okay, I'm new to this but I meant to say ##\int ##\rho## dv## + ##\int ##\rho## V dA##

I can't quite get the syntax down. But its the integral with respect to the control volume of the density * the dv (volume) + the integral with respect to the surface area of the density * the volume * dA (Area)

Lee Cousins said:
Okay, I'm new to this but I meant to say ##\int ##\rho## dv## + ##\int ##\rho## V dA##

I can't quite get the syntax down. But its the integral with respect to the control volume of the density * the dv (volume) + the integral with respect to the surface area of the density * the volume * dA (Area)

Regarding the syntax: You only have to write two hashtags before and after the entire expression, not for every symbol.

However, the first summand in your equation ##\int \rho dv## has the unit ##kg/m^3 \cdot m^3 = kg##. The second summand in your equation ##\int \rho v dA## has the unit ##kg/m^3 \cdot m^3 \cdot m^2 = kg\cdot m^2##. So the units are not consistent.

You start with an initial mass of air ##m_0## in the tank. Then there is a mass flow ##\dot{m}## exiting the tank with time. Now the mass conservation says that the mass in the tank must be the initial mass minus the air flow over the time.

##m_0-\dot{m}t=m\left(t\right)##

Based on this equation, try to find the answer by substituting, re-arranging etc.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is commonly expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter or kilograms per liter.

2. Why is it important to find the density inside a tank as air escapes?

The density inside a tank can affect the overall mass and volume of the tank, which are important considerations in many scientific and engineering applications. As air escapes from the tank, the density of the remaining contents may change, and it is important to accurately measure this change in order to make informed decisions and calculations.

3. How can the density inside a tank be measured as air escapes?

One method to measure the density inside a tank as air escapes is by using a hydrometer, which measures the density of a liquid by determining the buoyancy force on a submerged object. Another method is to measure the mass and volume of the remaining contents of the tank and calculate the density using the formula density = mass/volume.

4. What factors can affect the density inside a tank as air escapes?

The density inside a tank can be affected by various factors, such as the temperature and pressure of the surrounding environment, the composition and physical properties of the contents in the tank, and the rate at which the air is escaping from the tank.

5. How can the density inside a tank be used in practical applications?

The density inside a tank can be used in many practical applications, such as calculating the weight or volume of the contents, determining the amount of a substance needed for a specific process, and monitoring changes in the tank's contents over time. It is also an important parameter in industries such as oil and gas, chemical engineering, and environmental science.