Finding the distance between slits in double slit experiment

In summary, the person is struggling with a question and is unable to provide an image of the question. They have drawn a sketch and calculated a value for d, but are unsure if it is the correct approach. They mention the question being worth 12 marks and are looking for help with finding a formula to solve for d. The conversation ends with them confirming their calculated value with someone else.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
d=mD*lamba/x
Hi so I have been struggling on a part of a question that I'm not too sure on how to solve
For some reason PF is not allowing me to pose an image of the question on here so I have provided a link to it

Question link:

And here is what I tried to do so far, I drew a sketch of a diagram to help me derive the formula that I need

Sketch:
Working out:

I got little d to be 2.92 x 10-4m

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
I computed it also, and got the same answer.

Likes Bolter
Bolter said:
Any help would be really appreciated
Sure. What is your problem ?

BvU said:
Sure. What is your problem ?

Sorry I just got threw off here as it was set to be 12 marks, so I though I had to make use of a diagram or something to get to an equation I can use to find d. And not just dive straight into a known general formula to calculate d, as it would seem to be too much little work.

Looks about right now then I guess

Charles Link said:
I computed it also, and got the same answer.

Ok thanks for confirming!

Likes Charles Link

1. How do you find the distance between slits in a double slit experiment?

The distance between slits in a double slit experiment can be found by measuring the distance between the centers of the two slits. This distance is known as the slit spacing or the slit separation.

2. What is the significance of the distance between slits in a double slit experiment?

The distance between slits in a double slit experiment is crucial in determining the interference pattern that is produced. The smaller the slit spacing, the wider the interference pattern will be.

3. Is there an ideal distance between slits in a double slit experiment?

The ideal distance between slits in a double slit experiment depends on the wavelength of the light being used. The distance should be approximately equal to the wavelength of the light in order to produce the most distinct interference pattern.

4. How does changing the distance between slits affect the interference pattern in a double slit experiment?

Changing the distance between slits in a double slit experiment can alter the spacing of the interference pattern. A smaller slit spacing will result in a wider interference pattern, while a larger slit spacing will result in a narrower interference pattern.

5. Can the distance between slits be adjusted during a double slit experiment?

Yes, the distance between slits can be adjusted during a double slit experiment. This can be done by moving the slits closer or further away from each other. However, it is important to note that changing the distance between slits will also change the interference pattern produced.