Finding the distance in an acceleration problem (different)

• Thread starter SoConfused__
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, to solve this problem, you need to use the equations for motion with constant acceleration and convert all units to SI units. The final velocity will be zero, and you can solve for the distance traveled before braking. By using the given initial velocity and acceleration, you can find the distance from the elephant when you stop, which is 77m.
SoConfused__

Homework Statement

You are traveling at 60km/h when all of a sudden you see a pink elephant which is 0.125km down the road. Your car can slow down at a rate of -5.0m/s^2. If it takes you 20 m of distance to react and hit the brake, how far will you be from the elephant when you stop?

Homework Equations

D = (V1+V2/2)t
A = V2-V1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I really don't even know where to begin with this problem. I don't even know how to visualize this.

Okay so the break is hit when it's 0.105km away. (0.125 - 20).

Time = Velocity / Acceleration
= 60/-0.03 (5m = 0.005km/s = 0.03km/h)
= 200 hours?

Just from this point I know it's wrong. I can't continue further because I'm already starting off on the wrong foot.

I need some guidance in the RIGHT direction, please & thank you!

Also, the answer is supposed to be 77m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take care of the units and dimensions. The acceleration is not 5 m, neither 0.005 km/s, and 0.005 km/s is not 0.03 km/h.

The best thing first when you start to solve a problem to convert all units to Si ones: m, s, kg, and so on.

ehild

You need to use the equations for motion with constant acceleration.

Time is the variable you do not know, so use an equation that does not include time: v2=v02+2a(x-x0)

The final velocity (the v on the left side of the equation) will be zero (because you will be stopped). You want to solve for (x-x0) and then try to work it out from there using the distance you travel before braking and the distance you start from the elephant. Also, convert the 60km/hr to meters/second.

I worked the problem and came up with 77m.

Related to Finding the distance in an acceleration problem (different)

1. How do you calculate distance in an acceleration problem?

The formula for calculating distance in an acceleration problem is d = 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement in an acceleration problem?

Distance refers to the total amount of ground covered, while displacement refers to the shortest distance between the starting and ending points. In an acceleration problem, distance is calculated using the formula d = 1/2at^2, while displacement is calculated using the formula s = v0t + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement and v0 is the initial velocity.

3. Can you find the distance in an acceleration problem if you only know the initial and final velocities?

Yes, you can use the formula d = (v0 + vf)t/2 to find the distance in an acceleration problem if you know the initial and final velocities and the time.

4. What units should be used for distance and time in an acceleration problem?

Distance is typically measured in meters (m) and time is measured in seconds (s) in an acceleration problem. However, it is important to use consistent units throughout the calculations.

5. Is it possible to have a negative distance in an acceleration problem?

No, distance is a positive quantity and cannot be negative. However, displacement can be negative if the object moves in the opposite direction from its initial position.