Finding the electric field at point p in this formation?

In summary, the electric field at point P is 0 due to the cancellation of the two positive 5q charges, and the electric field contributions from the +3q and -12q charges at point P also cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of 0 at point P.
shqiptargirl

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the electric field at point p due to the four point charges shown? The distance d is between charge centers.
coulombsexample.png

Homework Equations

Electric Field = kq/d^2
Coulomb's Law = k(q1q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to go about solving this for a multiple of reasons. First of all, the formation is really throwing me off. I think both the positive and negative 5 charges cancel out, but I'm not too sure how to calculate the forces on p due to the +3.0 and -12

Physics news on Phys.org
shqiptargirl said:
I don't know how to go about solving this for a multiple of reasons. First of all, the formation is really throwing me off. I think both the positive and negative 5 charges cancel out, but I'm not too sure how to calculate the forces on p due to the +3.0 and -12
Hi shqiptargirl, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I don't see any negative 5q charges, just two positive 5q charges. But you're right about their fields cancelling at P.

Note that you're looking for the field contributions of the other charges at point P, not forces (there's no charge at P on which a force could be developed). Use your electric field equation from your Relevant equations. What are the distances of the +3q and -12q charges from point P?

That's what I have trouble understanding. I know the electric field at point E due to the +3 charge would be (9 * 10^9)(3)/d^2. And the electric field at point p due to the -12 charge would be (9 *10^9)(12)/(2d)^2. But I don't know where to go from there. How do I add them together if the distance remains unknown?

I am also confused because one charge is negative. Do I include the negative symbol when calculating the electric field?

shqiptargirl said:
That's what I have trouble understanding. I know the electric field at point E due to the +3 charge would be (9 * 10^9)(3)/d^2. And the electric field at point p due to the -12 charge would be (9 *10^9)(12)/(2d)^2. But I don't know where to go from there. How do I add them together if the distance remains unknown?
Note that you're not given a value for q either. Being of a suspicious nature, I'd look for a trick if you're asked for a numerical result :rolleyes:. Add the two field magnitudes up symbolically and see what it looks like.

That's what I don't understand unfortunately. How do I add up the two fields? I know I have to make the denominators equal first. So I would multiply both the denominator and numerator of (9*10^9)(3)/d^2 by 2. From that point on I am confused. Am I suppose to distribute the 2 to both (9*10^9) and to (3) ?

You should forget the numerical value for the Coulomb constant and just write "k" for now, since you're doing a symbolic manipulation.

You're adding:

##E = k \frac{3q}{d^2} + k \frac{-12q}{(2d)^2} ##

See if you can simplify the second term a bit first.

Okay, with this I got k *6q/2d^2+ k*-12q/2d^2. Can I know add them together to get k* -6q/2d^2 and then simplify to get -3q/d^2?

Also, how do you format your fractions so nicely?

shqiptargirl said:
Okay, with this I got k *6q/2d^2+ k*-12q/2d^2. Can I know add them together to get k* -6q/2d^2 and then simplify to get -3q/d^2?
Something's gone awry in your algebra. Take note that the (2d) in the denominator of the second term is ALL squared. How do you expand ##(2 d)^2 ##? Cancel what you can there in that term.
Also, how do you format your fractions so nicely?
I'm using Latex syntax. If you hit "Reply" on one of my posts with it in it you'll see the tags and such.

Okay I think I figured it out. If I expanded ##E = k \frac{-12q}{2d^2} ## I'd get ##E = k \frac{-12q}{2d*2d} ## which would simplify to -3?

The thing I don't understand is how I can simplify this fraction when there is a variable D in the denominator. How can I take 2d out of 12 if I don't know what d is?.

And so overall, the net electric field would be 0?

shqiptargirl said:
Okay I think I figured it out. If I expanded ##E = k \frac{-12q}{2d^2} ## I'd get ##E = k \frac{-12q}{2d*2d} ## which would simplify to -3?

The thing I don't understand is how I can simplify this fraction when there is a variable D in the denominator. How can I take 2d out of 12 if I don't know what d is?.
You don't simplify further when you have different variables. You just reduce to simplest terms, which in this case for for the expression in question is

## k \frac{-3q}{d^2}##

Lo and behold, that just happens to be the negative of the first term of the sum! A fine (no doubt intentional) coincidence.
And so overall, the net electric field would be 0?
Yes indeed :)

Thank you so much for all your help! I understand it now ;)

1. How do you find the electric field at a specific point?

To find the electric field at a specific point, you need to know the charge distribution and the distance between the point and the charges. You can then use Coulomb's Law to calculate the electric field.

2. What is Coulomb's Law and how is it used to find the electric field?

Coulomb's Law states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It can be used to calculate the electric field by dividing the force by the magnitude of the charge at the point.

3. Can you explain the concept of electric field?

Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience at a given point in space. It is created by electric charges and can be represented by lines or vectors.

4. How does the presence of multiple charges affect the electric field at a point?

If there are multiple charges present, the electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge. This means that the direction and strength of the electric field at that point will depend on the magnitude and location of each charge.

5. Are there any other methods to find the electric field at a point besides using Coulomb's Law?

Yes, in some cases, you can use Gauss's Law to find the electric field at a point. This method involves calculating the electric flux through a closed surface surrounding the point and relating it to the enclosed charge. However, this method is typically more complex and is only applicable in certain scenarios.