Finding the equation of a system involving dashpots and mass on wheels

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanical system with a dashpot and a mass. The equations of motion for the system are being calculated, and there is some confusion about the role of the dashpot and the input force. The suggestion is made to use an electrical circuit as a double check for the mechanical setup. Modifications are being made to the equations, but there is still some uncertainty about their accuracy.
lzh

Homework Statement

consider the mechanical system below. Find the equation depicting the system. u is the input force. sorry for the poor picture, I had to draw it on my tablet...
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1043/ogataprob.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to treat the dashpot in parallel with the mass. I came up with the following system of equations:

0=k1x+mx"+k2(x-y)+b(x-y)
0=b(x-y)+k2(x-y)+k3(y-u)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi lzh! :smile:

according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashpot" , the resistance is porportional to the speed :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
hi!
oops I mistyped...
0=k1x+mx"+k2(x-y)+b(x'-y')
0=b(x'-y')+k2(x-y)+k3(y-u)

I can't tell you anything for sure since I haven't done these problems in years. The way I used to check out the mechanical "circuit" when I got overwhelmed was based on my electrical knowledge. Your dashpot is a resistor and your mass is an inductor. Always use this as a double check when you're unsure of a mechanical setup. The info for the electrical setup will always be more easy to find.

EDIT: Looking at your equations of motion now though, I think you have it or are close. There is no need to fudge with the circuit. Just find X and Y based on input u.

Last edited:
0=k1x+mx"+k2(x-y)+b(x'-y')
0=b(y'-y')+k2(y-x)+k3*y+u

after some more modification, but I'm still unsure...

For starters:

Note that u would be a velocity input, not a force input.

b is by' - it has no contact with the velocity at x

and I think for m it is m(y"-x")

I haven't checked your equations yet, so patience please

Related to Finding the equation of a system involving dashpots and mass on wheels

1. What is a dashpot in a system involving mass on wheels?

A dashpot is a mechanical device used to provide resistance and dampen the motion of a system. It consists of a piston moving through a viscous fluid, creating a force that opposes the motion of the system.

2. Why is it important to include dashpots in the equation of a system with mass on wheels?

Dashpots are important because they help to control the oscillations and vibrations of a system. In a system with mass on wheels, dashpots can help to reduce the impact and wear on the wheels and other components, improving the overall performance and stability of the system.

3. How do you determine the equation for a system involving dashpots and mass on wheels?

The equation for a system involving dashpots and mass on wheels can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the system and using Newton's laws of motion. The equation will include terms for the mass of the wheels, the damping coefficient of the dashpots, and the forces applied to the system.

4. Can the equation for a system with dashpots and mass on wheels be simplified?

Yes, the equation for a system with dashpots and mass on wheels can be simplified by making certain assumptions and approximations. For example, if the system is assumed to be in steady-state motion, certain terms in the equation may be negligible, making the equation simpler to solve.

5. How can the equation for a system with dashpots and mass on wheels be used to predict the behavior of the system?

The equation for a system with dashpots and mass on wheels can be used to predict the behavior of the system by solving for the motion of the system over time. This can help to determine the stability, vibrations, and response of the system to different forces and inputs. It can also be used to optimize the design of the system for better performance.