Finding the final velocity with quadratic drag

In summary, I solved for the speed of the particle at the bottom of the flight by integrating the force equation over the time interval from when the particle's initial velocity (in the upward direction) equals the terminal velocity (in the upward direction).
CrosisBH
Homework Statement
You shoot a particle straight up with a velocity $$v_0 < v_{t}$$ (terminal velocity) in a medium (like air) where the drag fore is proportional to the square of the velocity, show that the particle lands with a speed given by $$v_f = \frac{v_0 v_t}{\sqrt{v_0^2 + v_t^2}}$$ (Hint, change $$\frac{dv}{dt}$$ to $$v\frac{dv}{dx}$$)
Relevant Equations
$$\vec{F} = m\vec{a}$$
$$v_t = \sqrt{\frac{mg}{c}}$$
I chose coordinates where down is positive. So the force going up is $$F_{up} = mg - cv^2$$
$$a = g + \frac{c}{m}v^2$$
$$a = g \left(1 + \frac{v^2}{v_t^2}\right)$$
$$a = \frac{dv}{dt} = v\frac{dv}{dy} = g \left(1 + \frac{v^2}{v_t^2}\right)$$
I used normal separation of variables to solve this. I noticed that the velocity starts at v_0 and goes to a velocity 0 because gravity is opposite the velocity. And that point where it hits 0 the y will be at the max, so I did so.
$$\int_{v_0}^{0} \frac{v}{\left(1 + \frac{v^2}{v_t^2}\right)}dv = \int_{0}^{y_{max}}gdy $$
I evaluated to get
$$y_{max} = \frac{-v_t^2\ln\left(\frac{v_t^2 + v_0^2}{v_t^2}\right)}{2g}$$
This dimensionally makes sense, and also physically makes sense because I chose positive in the down direction.

I used this information to solve the down case,
$$F_{down} = mg-cv^2$$
Using very similar algebra I reached here.
$$\int_{0}^{v_f} \frac{v}{\left(1 - \frac{v^2}{v_t^2}\right)}dv = \int_{y_{max}}^{0}gdy $$

As I'm writing this post I realized I just went circular here, and was getting a solution of $$v_t = iv_0$$, which obviously makes no sense. I just don't know how to proceed after finding the max y. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good to me. But I don't see why you say that you went in a circle. Did you actually carry out the final integration? I don't believe you will find that ##v_t = iv_0##. You're looking for ##v_f##.[I did notice a typographical error in your equation ##F_{up} = mg - cv^2## where the minus sign on the right should be a + sign, but you corrected that in the next line.]

CrosisBH said:
Homework Statement:: You shoot a particle straight up with a velocity $$v_0 < v_{t}$$ (terminal velocity) in a medium (like air) where the drag fore is proportional to the square of the velocity, show that the particle lands with a speed given by $$v_f = \frac{v_0 v_t}{\sqrt{v_0^2 + v_t^2}}$$ (Hint, change $$\frac{dv}{dt}$$ to $$v\frac{dv}{dx}$$)
Relevant Equations:: $$\vec{F} = m\vec{a}$$
$$v_t = \sqrt{\frac{mg}{c}}$$

I chose coordinates where down is positive. So the force going up is $$F_{up} = mg - cv^2$$
$$a = g \left(1 + \frac{v^2}{v_t^2}\right)$$
$$a = \frac{dv}{dt} = v\frac{dv}{dy} = g \left(1 + \frac{v^2}{v_t^2}\right)$$
There should be a minus sign in front of the mg. The equation should read: $$mv\frac{dv}{dy}=-mg-cv^2$$

Chestermiller said:
There should be a minus sign in front of the mg. The equation should read: $$mv\frac{dv}{dy}=-mg-cv^2$$
For the flight upward, I think the signs on the right should be positive if the y-axis increases downward.
(For the flight upward, ##v<0##, ##dv >0##, and ##dy < 0##)

TSny said:
For the flight upward, I think the signs on the right should be positive if the y-axis increases downward.
(For the flight upward, ##v<0##, ##dv >0##, and ##dy < 0##)
It doesn’t make sense (to me) to have y measured downward for the flight upward,

Likes PeroK
Either choice of the orientation of the y-axis is ok. For the flight upward, choosing the y-axis downward makes keeping track of the signs harder. (##y_{max}## is then negative, ##v_0## is also negative, etc.) But, it works out. The relation ##v_0 < v_t## should then be written ##|v_0| < v_t##, assuming ##v_t## is defined to be positive.

Okay it turns out I was making a fatal error. These damn negative signs. The second differential equation yields
$$\frac{-v_t^2 \ln\left(\frac{v_t^2-v_f^2}{v_t^2}\right)}{2g} = -y_{max}$$. I forgot cancel negatives and dropped it when i subbed y_max. A lot of canceling yields:
$$\ln\left(\frac{v_t^2 - v_f^2}{v_t^2}\right) = - \ln\left(\frac{v_t^2+v_0^2}{v_t^2}\right)$$
Which with some algebra and a lot of manipulation can yield.
$$v_f = \frac{v_0 v_t}{\sqrt{v_t^2 + v_0^2}}$$
By combining fractions and stuff.

Also the reason I used down is positive so I can have mg be a positive quantity. I get really confused with what sign drag should have when writing down force equations, so I followed the simple example with no external force my professor used, where down was positive. Thank you everyone!

1. What is quadratic drag?

Quadratic drag is a type of fluid resistance that occurs when an object moves through a fluid, such as air or water. It is called quadratic drag because the force of resistance is proportional to the square of the object's velocity.

2. How does quadratic drag affect an object's motion?

Quadratic drag acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. As the object's velocity increases, the force of quadratic drag also increases, eventually reaching a point where it balances out the force of gravity and the object reaches a constant velocity known as the terminal velocity.

3. How is the final velocity with quadratic drag calculated?

The final velocity with quadratic drag can be calculated by using the formula v = (mg/c) * (1 - e^(-ct/m)), where v is the final velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, c is the drag coefficient, and t is the time.

4. What factors affect the final velocity with quadratic drag?

The final velocity with quadratic drag is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, the drag coefficient of the fluid, and the time it takes for the object to reach its final velocity. Additionally, the object's initial velocity and the density of the fluid can also impact the final velocity.

5. How can the final velocity with quadratic drag be used in real-world scenarios?

The final velocity with quadratic drag can be used to understand the motion of objects in fluids, such as parachutes, rockets, and projectiles. It can also be used in engineering and design to optimize the shape and size of objects to reduce the effects of drag and increase their speed and efficiency.