Finding the Flux of a Vector Field

In summary, the homework statement asks for the flux through a rectangle in the xy-plane between a and b, and in the yz-plane between a and b. The attempted solution finds the electric field and the flux through a rectangle in the xy-plane between a and b. The double integral to use is for the electric field and the flux through the rectangle of length b and width a.
Civil_Disobedient

Homework Statement

A vector field is pointed along the z-axis,
v → = a/(x^2 + y^2)z .

(a) Find the flux of the vector field
through a rectangle in the xy-plane between a < x < b and
c < y < d .

(b) Do the same through a rectangle in the
yz-plane between a < z < b and c < y < d . (Leave your
answer as an integral.)

Homework Equations

Φ = EA
E
= F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem looks similar to this (I used an image of a similar example):
upload_2018-9-4_15-55-37.png

This example here had flux E0⋅A = E0ab

So for this problem, I tried doing the same thing but first finding electric field of vector v: E = F/q = a/(x^2 + y^2)z / q = aq / (x^2 + y^2)z

And then plugging into formula for Φ:
Φ = EA = aq / (x^2 + y^2)z ⋅ xy

I know I messed up somewhere, especially because the question asks to have an integral for an answer but I'm not sure which formula to use or how to use it.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-4_15-55-37.png
    upload_2018-9-4_15-55-37.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 670
Physics news on Phys.org
The expression to use is not Φ = EA, because the field is not constant over the area. The integral to use is Φ = ∫E⋅dA. Because the field and the directed area are both along the z-axis, you can write Φ = ∫E dA =∫dx ∫ E dy. Do you know how to do double integrals?

Likes Delta2 and Civil_Disobedient
kuruman said:
The expression to use is not Φ = EA, because the field is not constant over the area. The integral to use is Φ = ∫E⋅dA. Because the field and the directed area are both along the z-axis, you can write Φ = ∫E dA =∫dx ∫ E dy. Do you know how to do double integrals?

I don't, haven't covered double integrals. Will I be able to do this without double integrals? How would I find electric field in this case? I know area of the rectangle is just length times width, within the x and y bounds. Would those be the bounds of the integral? But there are two sets of boundaries, one for x and one for y

Civil_Disobedient said:
v → = a/(x^2 + y^2)z .

Is that a unit vector z? And is it in the numerator?

Cutter Ketch said:
Is that a unit vector z? And is it in the numerator?

Yes, and the z isn't in the numerator

Civil_Disobedient said:
Yes, and the z isn't in the numerator

Actually, I don’t know why I asked. It has to be in the numerator. I don’t even know what it would mean if it was in the denominator.

Likes Delta2
Civil_Disobedient said:
I don't, haven't covered double integrals. Will I be able to do this without double integrals? How would I find electric field in this case? I know area of the rectangle is just length times width, within the x and y bounds. Would those be the bounds of the integral? But there are two sets of boundaries, one for x and one for y
Imagine a small rectangle of area ##dA=dxdy## at some point ##(x,y)## and on the area. This rectangle is so small that you can write its contribution to the flux as the product of the field at that point times the small area ##d\Phi=E~dxdy##. In other words, you assume that the field is constant over the area if the area is small enough. Now consider a strip of length ##b## running parallel to the ##y##-axis which means that the value of ##x## is fixed at ##x##. To find the flux through it, you need to add continuously the contributions through all the small rectangles that make it up. You have$$d\Phi{(x)}=dx\int_0^b \frac{a}{x^2+y^2}dy$$The value of this integral is a function of ##x## multiplying ##dx## and represents the flux through the strip of length ##b##. To find the flux through the rectangle of of length ##b## and width ##a##, you need to add, also continuously, the contributions from all such strips that make up the rectangle.
$$\Phi=\int_0^a d\Phi{(x)}dx=\int_0^a\left (\int_0^b \frac{a}{x^2+y^2}dy \right)dx$$ Note that the term between parentheses is a function of ##x## only that you get by doing the integral between them. That, in a nutshell, is how you do a double integral. It's nothing mysterious, just two continuous additions instead of only one.
Cutter Ketch said:
Actually, I don’t know why I asked. It has to be in the numerator. I don’t even know what it would mean if it was in the denominator.
I fully agree.

Likes Civil_Disobedient, Delta2 and BvU
I 'liked' the tutorial approach by @kuruman and won't retract that. However, it turns out this can be interpreted as giving the full answer -- depending on whether the
Civil_Disobedient said:
(Leave your answer as an integral.)
applies to the whole exercise or only to part b ...

@Civil_Disobedient ?

BvU said:
I 'liked' the tutorial approach by @kuruman and won't retract that. However, it turns out this can be interpreted as giving the full answer -- depending on whether the
applies to the whole exercise or only to part b ...

@Civil_Disobedient ?
I do not believe I gave away the full answer for either part (a) or (b). My "tutorial" is related to the figure posted by OP, which is a rectangle in the xy-plane. That rectangle has one corner at the origin while the one described in part (a) of the question has its equivalent corner at point (a,c). Furthermore, I did not post the result of the double integration which is what part (a) requires. As for part (b), the rectangle described in the question is in the yz plane, it involves a completely different integral and I have said nothing about setting that up. Anyway, thank you @BvU, for continuing to "like" the post. I tried to provide the rationale behind setting up a double integral.

Likes Civil_Disobedient
No offence intended...

We haven't heard from @Civil_Disobedient whether b) only or a) and b) have to be answered in the form of an integral ?

Whatever, I'd like to see @Civil_Disobedient provide the outcome for part b) in the form of an evaluated integral as well ... in short: what's the result ?

Likes kuruman
BvU said:
No offence intended...

We haven't heard from @Civil_Disobedient whether b) only or a) and b) have to be answered in the form of an integral ?

Whatever, I'd like to see @Civil_Disobedient provide the outcome for part b) in the form of an evaluated integral as well ... in short: what's the result ?
I agree with all of the above.

kuruman said:
Imagine a small rectangle of area ##dA=dxdy## at some point ##(x,y)## and on the area. This rectangle is so small that you can write its contribution to the flux as the product of the field at that point times the small area ##d\Phi=E~dxdy##. In other words, you assume that the field is constant over the area if the area is small enough. Now consider a strip of length ##b## running parallel to the ##y##-axis which means that the value of ##x## is fixed at ##x##. To find the flux through it, you need to add continuously the contributions through all the small rectangles that make it up. You have$$d\Phi{(x)}=dx\int_0^b \frac{a}{x^2+y^2}dy$$The value of this integral is a function of ##x## multiplying ##dx## and represents the flux through the strip of length ##b##. To find the flux through the rectangle of of length ##b## and width ##a##, you need to add, also continuously, the contributions from all such strips that make up the rectangle.
$$\Phi=\int_0^a d\Phi{(x)}dx=\int_0^a\left (\int_0^b \frac{a}{x^2+y^2}dy \right)dx$$ Note that the term between parentheses is a function of ##x## only that you get by doing the integral between them. That, in a nutshell, is how you do a double integral. It's nothing mysterious, just two continuous additions instead of only one.

I fully agree.

The integral here makes sense, but shouldn't the boundaries of each integral correspond to the integrals of the sides of the rectangle? i.e bounds of x-axis for part a should be between a and b and the integral for the y-axis be between c and d?

The integral form applies to both part a and b I believe

re-read #9

Civil_Disobedient said:
The integral here makes sense, but shouldn't the boundaries of each integral correspond to the integrals of the sides of the rectangle? i.e bounds of x-axis for part a should be between a and b and the integral for the y-axis be between c and d?

The integral form applies to both part a and b I believe

Yes, a to b and c to d. Instead of using the problem as worded, he constructed the integrals based on the picture you provided from a similar problem. In that picture one corner of the rectangle was at (0,0) and the other corner was at (a,b)

1. What is the concept of flux in relation to a vector field?

The concept of flux refers to the rate at which a vector field passes through a surface or boundary. It is a measure of the flow or movement of the vector field through a given area.

2. How is the flux of a vector field calculated?

The flux of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector to the surface or boundary. This dot product is then integrated over the surface or boundary to find the total flux.

3. Why is it important to calculate the flux of a vector field?

Calculating the flux of a vector field can help in understanding the behavior and movement of the field. It is also useful in various applications, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, and weather forecasting.

4. What factors can affect the flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the vector field, as well as the shape and orientation of the surface or boundary through which it is passing. Additionally, the flux may also be influenced by any external forces acting on the field.

5. How is the concept of flux used in real-world scenarios?

The concept of flux is widely used in various fields of science and engineering. For example, in fluid mechanics, the flux of a velocity field can help in understanding the flow of a liquid or gas through a given area. In electromagnetics, the flux of an electric field can be used to determine the strength and direction of the electric field around a charged object. In weather forecasting, the flux of a wind vector field can aid in predicting the movement of air masses.