Finding the force due to uniform charged rod

In summary, Q is distributed uniformly along a rod of length 2L, while a charge of 6.05 ×10−6 C is placed at (D,0). When integrating with respect to q, the user incorrectly multiplies by a factor and then substitutes in the Pythagorean distance instead of r. The x-component of the electric field is then calculated by solving for E_{x} using the previously calculated values for kD and dy.
mattbonner

Homework Statement

A charge Q = 4.35 ×10−4 C is distributed uniformly along a rod of length 2L, extending from y = -21.1 cm to y = +21.1 cm, as shown in the diagram 'on your assignment above. A charge q = 6.05 ×10−6 C, and the same sign as Q, is placed at (D,0), where D = 74.5 cm.

Use integration to compute the total force on q in the x-direction.

Homework Equations

[tex]E = k \int \frac{dq}{r^2}[/tex]
F = qE

The Attempt at a Solution

I've seen the answer, and I think I'm missing a step because when I do it it always turns out different

[tex]E = k \int_{-.211}^{.211} \frac{dq}{(\sqrt{D^2 + y^2})^2} [/tex] * [tex] \frac{D}{\sqrt{y^2 + D^2}}[/tex]

when I simplify this I get,

[tex] F = kqQD \int_{-L}^{L}(D^2 + y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}dy [/tex]

however, the correct answer is

[tex] F = \frac{kqQD}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L}(D^2 + y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}dy[/tex]

and I'm confused as to where the 2L comes from...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mattbonner said:
I've seen the answer, and I think I'm missing a step because when I do it it always turns out different

[tex]E = k \int_{-.211}^{.211} \frac{dq}{(\sqrt{D^2 + y^2})^2} [/tex] * [tex] \frac{D}{\sqrt{y^2 + D^2}}[/tex]

when I simplify this I get,

[tex] F = kqQD \int_{-L}^{L}(D^2 + y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}dy [/tex]

I don't know why you're multiplying by what you're multiplying in your first step: you haven't clearly shown your approach (and this is why, I presume, you're missing a small factor).

You correctly substituted in at this step:
[tex]E = k \int_{-.211}^{.211} \frac{dq}{(\sqrt{D^2 + y^2})^2} [/tex]
replacing r with the Pythagorean distance, but could you explain why you multiplied by that factor? (this should help you realize your mistake)

Last edited:
Due to symmetry, I multiplied by cosine, which I think is D/r

Ok, to find the X component of the electric field, if I'm following you correctly.

So you have:
[tex]E_{x}=kD\int_{-L}^{L}\frac{dq}{(y^{2}+D^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}=kD\int_{-L}^{L}(y^{2}+D^{2})^{-\frac{3}{2}}dq[/tex]

Which is just simplifying the multiplication.

But you still are integrating with respect to q, without any q's in the equation! So you need to find some way to transform dq into dy (what you want to be integrating with respect to).

Nabeshin said:
Ok, to find the X component of the electric field, if I'm following you correctly.

So you have:
[tex]E_{x}=kD\int_{-L}^{L}\frac{dq}{(y^{2}+D^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}}=kD\int_{-L}^{L}(y^{2}+D^{2})^{-\frac{3}{2}}dq[/tex]

Which is just simplifying the multiplication.

But you still are integrating with respect to q, without any q's in the equation! So you need to find some way to transform dq into dy (what you want to be integrating with respect to).

ooh I think I'm starting to see it:
dq = [tex]\lambda dy[/tex]
and
[tex]\lambda = \frac{Q}{2L}[/tex]

and then [tex]\lambda[/tex] can be brought out of the integral and that's where the 2L comes from!

Thank you so much! This was bugging me for quite a while.

Related to Finding the force due to uniform charged rod

What is the formula for calculating the force due to a uniform charged rod?

The formula for calculating the force due to a uniform charged rod is F = k * Q * q / L, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the rod, q is the charge of the test charge, and L is the distance between the rod and the test charge.

How do I determine the direction of the force due to a uniform charged rod?

The direction of the force due to a uniform charged rod can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the test charge's motion, then curl your fingers in the direction of the electric field created by the rod. The direction your palm is facing is the direction of the force.

Can the force due to a uniform charged rod be attractive or repulsive?

The force due to a uniform charged rod can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the rod and the test charge. If both charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive. If they are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.

What is the difference between a uniform charged rod and a point charge?

A uniform charged rod refers to a long, thin rod with a constant charge distributed along its length. A point charge, on the other hand, refers to a single charged particle with no physical dimension. The formula for calculating the force due to a uniform charged rod differs from that of a point charge.

How does the distance between the rod and the test charge affect the force?

The force due to a uniform charged rod is inversely proportional to the distance between the rod and the test charge. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. This is because the electric field strength decreases as the distance from the rod increases.