Finding the fundamental matrix where psi(0) = the identity matrix

In summary, to find the fundamental matrix psi(t) for a system of first order linear equations with a given solution, one can use linear combinations of linearly independent basis vectors and solve for the values that satisfy the initial condition of psi(0) = I. In this case, the attempted solution using psi(t) = <<e^{3t}, e^{-t}>, <-e^{-3t}, e^{-t}>> did not result in the identity matrix, so another approach may be necessary.
capertiller

Homework Statement

If I have a solution to a system of first order linear equations: [itex]<x,y> = c_1 e^{-3t} <1,-1> + c_2 e^{-t} <1,1>[/itex] , how do I find the fundamental matrix psi(t) so that psi(0) = I ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]psi(t) = <<e^{3t}, e^{-t}>, <-e^{-3t}, e^{-t}>>[/itex]
[itex]psi(0) = <<1, 1>, <-1, 1>>[/itex]

This is clearly not the identity matrix.
Now what?

Physics news on Phys.org
just an idea but you have two linearly independent basis vectors call them u1, u2

could you take a linear comibination of your vectors such that
v1=au1+bu2 gives v1(0) = <1,0>
and
v2=cu1+du2 gives v2(0) = <0,1>?

then could you use those basis vectors to write the reuired fundamental matrix?

Related to Finding the fundamental matrix where psi(0) = the identity matrix

1. What is a fundamental matrix?

A fundamental matrix is a square matrix that contains information about the solutions of a system of linear differential equations. It is used to find solutions to initial value problems.

2. What does the identity matrix represent in this context?

The identity matrix, denoted as I, is a square matrix with ones on the main diagonal and zeros everywhere else. In the context of finding the fundamental matrix, it represents the initial conditions of the system at time t=0.

3. Why is it important to find the fundamental matrix?

Finding the fundamental matrix allows us to solve initial value problems for a system of linear differential equations. It is an essential tool in understanding and analyzing dynamic systems in various fields of science and engineering.

4. How do you find the fundamental matrix when psi(0) = I?

When the initial condition is the identity matrix, the fundamental matrix can be found by solving the system of differential equations and substituting t=0 into the solution. The resulting matrix will be the fundamental matrix.

5. Can the fundamental matrix change with different initial conditions?

Yes, the fundamental matrix can change with different initial conditions. This is because the solutions to a system of linear differential equations are dependent on the initial conditions. Therefore, the fundamental matrix will also vary for different initial conditions.