Finding the Half-Life of a Radioactive Element

• Thread starter Conrad Peterson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, the conversation is about finding the half-life of a radioactive element that decays by 20% in 2 years. The formula A(t)=a*e^(-kt) is mentioned and the value of k is determined to be -ln(0.8)/2. The model A(t)=a*e^(-0.1116t) is then used to find the half-life by setting A(t)=1/2 and solving for t.
Conrad Peterson

Homework Statement

In 2 years, 20% of a radioactive element decays. Find its half-life rounded to 2 decimal places.

Homework Equations

A(t)=a*e^kt

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I've been able to figure out is k=LN(0.2)/2

Physics news on Phys.org
The time of the half life is defined as the ## t## such that ## \frac{A(t)}{a}=\frac{1}{2} ##. But, please show your work. I think you computed ## k ## correctly, but it is easier for the homework helper if you show your work. Otherwise, it is hard to tell if you are simply using formulas, or if you know how to do the necessary computations. ## \\ ## Editing: And if 20% decays, that means that ## \frac{A(2 \, years)}{a}=.8 ## . Upon computing it myself, I see your answer for ## k ## is incorrect. And also, with the computation of ## k ##, it is necessary to keep the units, such as "years" in the denominator.

Last edited:
THIS IS WRONG AND CORRECTION TO APPEAR IN POST #6...
Your are on the right track. For a model y=a*e^(-kt), you are taking first, y=0.2, a=1, and x=2.
e^(-2k)=0.2
then take natural log of both sides, and ...
k=-ln(0.2)/2 or k=0.8047.

The more specific model becomes A(t)=a*e^(-0.8047t).

Find the half-life?
This means, 1*e^(-0.8047t)=1/2;
Solve for t.
-
SEE POST #6 FOR CORRECTION

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Your are on the right track. For a model y=a*e^(-kt), you are taking first, y=0.2, a=1, and x=2.
e^(-2k)=0.2
then take natural log of both sides, and ...
k=-ln(0.2)/2 or k=0.8047.

The more specific model becomes A(t)=a*e^(-0.8047t).

Find the half-life?
This means, 1*e^(-0.8047t)=1/2;
Solve for t.
If 20% has decayed, that means 80% remains. The radioactive decay formula gives the part that remains, so that ## e^{-2k}=.8 ## where the 2 in the exponent is 2 years.

Charles Link said:
If 20% has decayed, that means 80% remains. The radioactive decay formula gives the part that remains, so that ## e^{-2k}=.8 ## where the 2 in the exponent is 2 years.
I will take a careful look. I have recently been making very frequent arithmetic mistakes.

This is unfinished correction for post #3.
For 2 years time pass, 20% decayed meaning 80% still present.
y=a*e^(-kt)
0.8=1*e^(-2k)
Take natural log both sides,...
k=-ln(0.8)/2
Value for k is 0.1116.

Model to use, A(t)=a*e^(-0.1116t)

Next, finding the half-life.
Say, a=1, A(t)=1/2.
Now, e^(-0.1116t)=1/2.
Take natural log both sides and solve for t.
That will be the half-life.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the definition of half-life?

The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of a substance to decay or become inactive.

2. How do you calculate the half-life of a substance?

The half-life can be calculated by dividing the initial amount of the substance by two and then repeating this process for each subsequent half-life until the amount remaining is negligible.

3. What factors can affect the half-life of a substance?

The half-life of a substance can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the substance.

4. How does the half-life of a substance relate to its radioactive properties?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is a measure of its stability and the rate at which it decays. A shorter half-life indicates a more unstable substance, while a longer half-life indicates a more stable substance.

5. How is the concept of half-life used in various scientific fields?

The concept of half-life is used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and medicine to understand the decay of substances, the effectiveness of drugs and treatments, and the dating of archaeological artifacts and fossils.