Calculate the half-life of the antibiotic Ofloxacin in this patient

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter havenly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary: If you can provide more information about the questions and the system you are using, I can try to help. In summary, the half-life of ofloxacin in a 70 kg patient treated with ciprofloxacin is 4.158 hours.
havenly
Homework Statement
half life time
Relevant Equations
𝑇1/2 =(𝑙𝑛2) 𝑥 𝑉𝑜𝑙𝑢𝑚𝑒 𝑑𝑒 𝑑𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑖𝑏𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛/ clarence.
A 70 kg patient is treated with ciprofloxacin (2 x 500 mg / d) for an infection
pulmonary. Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic eliminated primarily by the kidneys, its
apparent volume of distribution is 3 [1 / kg) and its clearance is 0.5 (Wh x kg).
Calculate the half-life of ofloxacin in this patient. Later, his situation
degrades: it produces edema and the volume of distribution of ofloxacin increases to 125 liters.
After calculating the new half-life of ofloxacin in this patient,
Choose
the correct statement among the following 5:
Please choose an answer:
A. The half-life is extended by 60 min. NS.
B. The half-life is shortened by 30 min. NS.
C. The half-life is lengthened by 4h10 min. NS.
D. The half-life time remains unchanged.
E. The half-life is extended by 100 min. NS.to calculate the first half-life I did:

T1/2 =(ln(2) x volume distribution)/ clearance

v=70Kg x 3L/KG =210L
clearance 0.5L/H KG x70KG=35

T1/2= (ln(2) x 210)/ 35 = 4.158h

to calculate the second half-life:

k= ln(2) / T1/2
K= ln2/4.158 =0.166

clearance= K. V
clearance= 0.166 X 125= 20.83

T1/2= (ln (2) x125)/ 20.83 =4.158h

I get that the half-life time remains the same; I don't see where my error is. you can help me?

• Sad
Likes docnet
Physics news on Phys.org
I am layman in medicine and chemistry. As I have scarce knowledge on your system mechanism half time you say reminds me exponential decay as radioactive materials.

havenly said:
Homework Statement:: half life time
Relevant Equations:: 𝑇1/2 =(𝑙𝑛2) 𝑥 𝑉𝑜𝑙𝑢𝑚𝑒 𝑑𝑒 𝑑𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑖𝑏𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛/ clarence.

A 70 kg patient is treated with ciprofloxacin (2 x 500 mg / d) for an infection
pulmonary. Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic eliminated primarily by the kidneys, its
apparent volume of distribution is 3 [1 / kg) and its clearance is 0.5 (Wh x kg).
Calculate the half-life of ofloxacin in this patient. Later, his situation
degrades: it produces edema and the volume of distribution of ofloxacin increases to 125 liters.
After calculating the new half-life of ofloxacin in this patient,
Choose
the correct statement among the following 5:
Please choose an answer:
A. The half-life is extended by 60 min. NS.
B. The half-life is shortened by 30 min. NS.
C. The half-life is lengthened by 4h10 min. NS.
D. The half-life time remains unchanged.
E. The half-life is extended by 100 min. NS.to calculate the first half-life I did:

T1/2 =(ln(2) x volume distribution)/ clearance

v=70Kg x 3L/KG =210L
clearance 0.5L/H KG x70KG=35

T1/2= (ln(2) x 210)/ 35 = 4.158h

to calculate the second half-life:

k= ln(2) / T1/2
K= ln2/4.158 =0.166

clearance= K. V
clearance= 0.166 X 125= 20.83

T1/2= (ln (2) x125)/ 20.83 =4.158h

I get that the half-life time remains the same; I don't see where my error is. you can help me?
Hi @havenly. Welcome to PF.

I’m sure someone here can help, but there are some problems with your question. Using my limited knowledge, here is a list of the problems I spotted. If you can fix them, you are more likely to get help.

1. Does (2 x 500 mg / d) mean a single dose of 1000mg? If not, what does it mean?

2. You have given the apparent volume of distribution as “3 [1 / kg) “. This makes no sense. Apparent volume of distribution should be in units of litres (l). I guess you mean ‘apparent volume of distribution per kg of body mass” (= 3 l/kg). Is that what you mean?

3. You said “clearance is 0.5 (Wh x kg)” but that makes no sense, Clearance is typically measured in units of l/h. Do you mean “clearance per kg of body mass” which has units of l/(h.kg)?

4. You changed “ciprofloxacin” to “ofloxacin” halfway through the question. They are different antibiotics. Is that a mistake?

5. The question says new volume of distribution increases to 125 litres. Do you means 125 litres or 125 litres/kg?. I.e. is 125 in the same units as the initial value (3 l/kg)?

6. When the volume of distribution increases to 125 litres, does the clearance stay the same or change?

7. What do the letters ‘NS’ stand for, in the list of alternative answers?

I’m guessing your question has been translated from another language (French?) which could be the reason for some of the problems.

Likes symbolipoint and berkeman

1. What is the half-life of Ofloxacin?

The half-life of Ofloxacin is the amount of time it takes for half of the drug to be eliminated from the body. It is a measure of how quickly the drug is cleared from the system.

2. How is the half-life of Ofloxacin calculated?

The half-life of Ofloxacin can be calculated by measuring the concentration of the drug in the patient's blood at different time points and using this data to determine the rate at which the drug is eliminated from the body.

3. Why is it important to know the half-life of Ofloxacin in a patient?

Knowing the half-life of Ofloxacin in a patient is important because it helps determine the appropriate dosage and frequency of administration. It also helps in predicting how long the drug will remain in the body and when it will need to be administered again.

4. What factors can affect the half-life of Ofloxacin in a patient?

The half-life of Ofloxacin can be affected by various factors such as the patient's age, weight, liver and kidney function, and the presence of other medications that may interact with Ofloxacin.

5. How long is the half-life of Ofloxacin in this patient?

The half-life of Ofloxacin can vary from patient to patient and can also change over time. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the specific half-life of Ofloxacin in a particular patient based on their individual factors and circumstances.