Finding the intensity of radiation ?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the intensity of light being radiated from a 150 W Xenon lamp onto a surface at a certain distance. It is suggested to use a photometer or calculate the intensity assuming all 150W is light passing through a sphere. However, more data about the bulb may be needed for a more accurate calculation.
mkbh_10
I have a 150 W Xenon lamp with me and I need to know what is the intensity(W/m^2) of light being radiated on a surface at x distance away . How do I do it ?

Can I use a photodiode, if yes then how ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could look for a photometer which can output irradiance for visible light.

I can tell you how to CALCULATE the intensity if you assume that 150W is all light.
The 150W passes through the surface of a sphere of radius r as it spreads out (assuming no absorbtion by the air) so the theoretical intensity = 150/(4πr^2) W/m^2
I am certain that this is not a good enough answer for you but it will give you a maximum value and if you have more data about the bulb then I hope it is of some use.
good luck

Related to Finding the intensity of radiation ?

1. How is the intensity of radiation measured?

The intensity of radiation is typically measured using a device called a dosimeter. This device measures the amount of radiation exposure in a given area and displays the results in units such as millirem or sievert.

2. What factors affect the intensity of radiation?

The intensity of radiation can be affected by several factors, including the type of radiation, the distance from the source of radiation, and the shielding or protective barriers in place. Other factors such as the duration of exposure and the individual's location can also play a role.

3. How does the intensity of radiation change over time?

The intensity of radiation typically decreases over time as the radioactive material decays. The rate of this decay depends on the half-life of the material, which is the time it takes for half of the atoms to decay into a more stable form.

4. What are the potential health effects of exposure to high levels of radiation?

Exposure to high levels of radiation can have various health effects, ranging from short-term symptoms such as nausea and fatigue to long-term effects such as cancer. The severity of these effects depends on the type of radiation, the duration of exposure, and the individual's overall health.

5. How can the intensity of radiation be reduced or controlled?

The intensity of radiation can be reduced or controlled through various measures such as time, distance, and shielding. Limiting the amount of time spent near a radiation source, increasing the distance from the source, and using protective barriers such as lead shielding can all help to reduce exposure to radiation.