Finding the Landing Point of a Missile Dropped from a Plane at an Angle

In summary: How far does the missile travel if the initial velocity is zero?In summary, the problem involves a plane dropping a missile with a constant acceleration of 7m/s^2 at an angle of 10 degrees below horizontal. After solving for the time it takes for the missile to hit the ground and using that time to calculate the final velocity, it is found that the missile will travel approximately 14178.3555 meters in the x direction.
DeathEater

Homework Statement

a plane, traveling at 200 m/s in the X direction, drops a missile which has a constant acceleration of 7 m/s^2 at an angle 10 degrees below horizontal. If the plane is 1250 m high when it fires, how far (in the x direction) from where it was fired will the missile come down?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to start this problem... could I possibly break the 7m/s^2 into y and x components using cosine, sine and the angle of 350 (10 degrees below the horizontal)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a start.

Bystander said:
Sounds like a start.
okay...well how can I possibly keep going after that?

DeathEater said:
okay...well how can I possibly keep going after that?
How about if you go that far and see if anything occurs to you.

phinds said:
How about if you go that far and see if anything occurs to you.
okay so I'm very much so struggling with this problem, but I tried to solve for the time when the missile will hit the ground

Δy=Voy(t) + ½ ay(t)2 → -1250= 0 (t) +½ (-1.2155) (t)2→ t= 45.35 seconds

is that correct so far?

Looks about right --- haven't got my calculator to check for dotting "i's" and crossing of "t's" as far as sin(10°), but definitely the correct ballpark and handling of the numbers. Please continue.

Bystander said:
Looks about right --- haven't got my calculator to check for dotting "i's" and crossing of "t's" as far as sin(10°), but definitely the correct ballpark and handling of the numbers. Please continue.
after that, I plugged t into the equation Vfx= Vox +ax(t) → Vfx= 200+(6.894)(45.35) → and got 512.643 m/s for Vfx. I then multiplied the final velocity by the time (45.35 seconds) to get the Δx, which is 23248.3555 m . Is that correct?

That non-zero initial velocity tripped you up. How far does the missile travel if the initial velocity is zero? You did fine with the y-component.

so should it just be (6.894)*(45.35) then? With that I get an initial of 312.643 and then multiplied by time I get 14178.3555 m

You used "d = (1/2)at2" for the y-component. I told you that was correct.

Related to Finding the Landing Point of a Missile Dropped from a Plane at an Angle

What happens when a plane drops a missile?

When a plane drops a missile, the missile falls towards the ground due to gravity. The plane may also continue to fly away from the missile's trajectory for safety reasons.

How does a plane drop a missile?

A plane can drop a missile through a variety of mechanisms, such as using a bomb bay or releasing it from a missile rack. The exact method depends on the type of plane and missile being used.

What type of damage can a plane-dropped missile cause?

A plane-dropped missile can cause significant damage, depending on its size and type. It can be used to destroy buildings, vehicles, or other targets, and can also cause casualties if used in warfare.

What safety precautions are taken when a plane drops a missile?

Before dropping a missile, the pilot and crew must ensure that the area is clear of any friendly forces, civilians, and other planes. They must also take into account the missile's trajectory and potential collateral damage.

How accurate are plane-dropped missiles?

Modern plane-dropped missiles have advanced guidance systems that make them highly accurate. However, factors such as weather conditions, human error, and malfunctions can affect their accuracy.