Finding the magnetic field B given the vector potential A ?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the magnetic vector potential and proving a given form for B. The individual has found the curl of A, but is unsure of how to reach the given form of B. It is mentioned that there is no given information about the scalar potential and a connection is made to Maxwell's third equation. It is also mentioned that there is some freedom in the choice of A and the possibility of assuming a gauge where the scalar potential is zero.
patric44
Homework Statement
find B given the vector potential A
Relevant Equations
A = /hat(ρ)/ρ *φ(z,t)
hi guys
this seems like a simple problem but i am stuck reaching the final form as requested , the question is
given the magnetic vector potential
$$\vec{A} = \frac{\hat{\rho}}{\rho}\beta e^{[-kz+\frac{i\omega}{c}(nz-ct)]}$$
prove that
$$B = (n/c + ik/\omega)(\hat{z}×\vec{E})$$
simple enough i found the curl of A which came out to be :
$$B = \frac{\hat{\phi}}{\rho} \beta e^{-iwt} (-k+\frac{i\omega n}{c})e^{-kz+\frac{i\omega n z}{c}}$$
how do i reach the given form of B ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
How is ##\vec E## related to ##\vec A##? Are you given any information about the scalar potential ##\varphi##?

TSny said:
How is ##\vec E## related to ##\vec A##? Are you given any information about the scalar potential ##\varphi##?
no nothing else was given ?! , could it be related some how to maxwell third equation ##∇×E = -\frac{∂B}{∂t}##

patric44 said:
no nothing else was given ?! , could it be related some how to maxwell third equation ##∇×E = -\frac{∂B}{∂t}##
See here for how ##\vec E## is related to ##\vec A## and ##\varphi##. There is some freedom in the choice of ##\vec A## and ##\varphi## ("gauge freedom"). Maybe this problem is assuming a choice of gauge where ##\varphi = 0## at each point of the region of interest, which can be done if there is no charge in the region.

• Love
Likes patric44

1. How is the magnetic field B related to the vector potential A?

The magnetic field B is related to the vector potential A through the equation B = ∇ x A, where ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the magnetic field is the curl of the vector potential.

2. What is the significance of finding the magnetic field B from the vector potential A?

Finding the magnetic field B from the vector potential A is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of magnetic fields in a given system. It also helps us to solve problems involving electromagnetic fields and to design devices such as motors and generators.

3. How do we calculate the vector potential A?

The vector potential A can be calculated using the equation A = μ₀/4π ∫(J/r) dV, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, J is the current density, and r is the distance from the source of the current. This integral must be evaluated over the entire volume of the current-carrying region.

4. Can the vector potential A be measured directly?

No, the vector potential A cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical construct that helps us to describe the behavior of magnetic fields. However, it can be indirectly measured through the effects it has on the magnetic field B.

5. What are some applications of finding the magnetic field B from the vector potential A?

Some applications of finding the magnetic field B from the vector potential A include designing and optimizing electromagnets, understanding the behavior of magnetic materials, and studying the properties of superconductors. It is also used in the development of medical imaging techniques such as MRI.