Finding the maximum displacement

In summary, the question at hand is to find the maximum displacement of block A in the left direction. The relevant equations used in this problem are the impulse-momentum theorem and the work-energy theorem. After finding the velocities of both blocks using the impulse-momentum theorem, the work-energy theorem was applied to the system. It was assumed that for a maximum displacement, the work done by internal dissipative forces must be close to zero. However, the resulting answer was much greater than the correct answer, indicating that the assumption was incorrect. The individual's attempt at a solution was not provided, making it difficult to determine the next steps.
EddiePhys

Homework Statement

IMG_20170829_095603_01.jpg

I want to find the maximum displacement of block A in the left direction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the velocities of both blocks after the bullet escapes with 100m/s by using the impulse-momentum theorem.
I then applied the work-energy theorem for the system
For a maximum displacement, I assumed that work done by internal dissipative forces must have been tending to zero. Solving, I got an answer much greater than the correct answer which means my assumption was wrong.

I don't know how to proceed further

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. It's not very helpful to only describe what you did.

What is the maximum displacement and why is it important?

The maximum displacement is the furthest distance an object or system has moved from its original position. It is important because it can help determine the overall motion and energy of the system.

How do you calculate the maximum displacement?

The maximum displacement can be calculated by finding the difference between the initial position and the final position of the object or system. This can be done using mathematical equations or through experimental measurements.

What factors can affect the maximum displacement?

The maximum displacement can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and the presence of external forces. Other factors may include the mass, shape, and elasticity of the object or system.

What are some real-world applications of finding the maximum displacement?

Finding the maximum displacement is important in many fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It can be used to analyze the motion of objects, design structures, and determine the efficiency of machines.

How can the maximum displacement be used to predict future motion?

The maximum displacement can be used as a starting point to predict the future motion of an object or system. By analyzing the maximum displacement, one can determine the potential energy and trajectory of the object, which can help make predictions about its future motion.