Finding the Median Volume of a Sample in Chemistry Lab

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question in a chemistry lab book regarding finding the median volume of water displaced by a metal sample. After discussing the definition of median and how it applies to the given scenario, it was concluded that the median is simply the middle value when arranging the three measurements in order from lowest to highest. The concept of median was also discussed in relation to survey data and its usefulness.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

A question in my chemistry 151 lab book:

A student measures the volume of water displaced by the same metal sample as 5.4 mL, 5.8 mL, and 5.5 mL for his three determinations. Determine the median volume.

Homework Equations

Unknown or N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

How do you find the median volume? Per wiki's explanation of what a median is, the median of the three numbers is the middle number after arranging them in order from lowest to highest, so in this case 5.5 mL. However I'm not sure this is what the question is actually asking. My instructor went over experimental error and uncertainty, but I don't remember anything about the median of a group of numbers and I can't find an explanation in either my textbook or my lab book.

Is it really just a simple as finding the middle of the three values, or have I misunderstood something? It just seems like too simple of a question if its really just the middle number.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

A question in my chemistry 151 lab book:

A student measures the volume of water displaced by the same metal sample as 5.4 mL, 5.8 mL, and 5.5 mL for his three determinations. Determine the median volume.

Homework Equations

Unknown or N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

How do you find the median volume? Per wiki's explanation of what a median is, the median of the three numbers is the middle number after arranging them in order from lowest to highest, so in this case 5.5 mL. However I'm not sure this is what the question is actually asking. My instructor went over experimental error and uncertainty, but I don't remember anything about the median of a group of numbers and I can't find an explanation in either my textbook or my lab book.

Is it really just a simple as finding the middle of the three values, or have I misunderstood something? It just seems like too simple of a question if its really just the middle number.
That's all the median is: the sample in the middle of a series of different samples.

In survey data, particularly concerning economics, you'll find discussions of things like 'median income', which is just the income in the middle of the sampled incomes from a group of individuals.

Although the 'median' appears to be a trivial concept, it is actually much more useful than it seems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median

Alright. Thanks Steamking!

What is Median Volume Displaced?

Median Volume Displaced is a measure of the amount of fluid that is displaced by an object when it is submerged in a liquid. It is calculated by finding the middle value of a set of data representing the volume of liquid displaced by different objects.

How is Median Volume Displaced calculated?

To calculate Median Volume Displaced, you need to first collect data on the volumes of liquid displaced by different objects. Then, arrange the data in ascending order. If there is an odd number of data points, the Median Volume Displaced is the middle value. If there is an even number of data points, the Median Volume Displaced is the average of the two middle values.

Why is Median Volume Displaced used instead of other measures?

Median Volume Displaced is often used instead of other measures, such as mean or mode, because it is less affected by extreme values in the data. This makes it a more accurate representation of the typical volume displaced by objects.

What are some real-world applications of Median Volume Displaced?

Median Volume Displaced is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and oceanography to calculate the volume of objects or substances in a liquid. It is also used in industries that involve fluid dynamics, such as designing ships or pipelines.

How can Median Volume Displaced be affected by different factors?

The Median Volume Displaced can be affected by several factors, such as the size and shape of the object, the density of the liquid, and the temperature of the liquid. It is important to control these factors when conducting experiments or making calculations involving Median Volume Displaced.