Finding the Monopole and Multipole Moments of the Electric Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the monopole and multipole moments using the long "multipole moments" expression and the charge density at the origin. The speaker initially believed that plugging in the value for the charge density would result in the correct answer, but after further study, they realized this was incorrect. They then mention the need to solve for a chaotic integral involving Dirac delta functions, and clarify that the "3" in the expression is not a power, but rather denotes the number of spatial dimensions. They also provide a link to the explicit expression for the charge density in spherical coordinates.
Athenian
Homework Statement
The expression of the multipole moments of the electric potential as a result of a charge density function can be expressed as the below equation.

$$\rho_{\ell} ^{m} = \int r_s ^{\ell} \rho_q (\vec{r}_s) Y_\ell ^{m*} (\hat{r}_s) d^{(3)} \vec{r}_s$$

Note that ##Y_\ell ^{m*}## is the complex conjugate of the spherical harmonics ##Y_\ell ^{m}##. In addition, note that ##\rho_q (\vec{r}_s) = q\delta^{(3)} (\vec{r}_s)## (i.e. the definition of a charge density at the origin for a given point charge expressed as a Dirac delta function here).

Find the monopole moment (i.e. ##\rho_0^0##) for the given point charge placed at the origin.

Afterward, find the value for all the other given multipole moments here.
Relevant Equations
Refer below ##\longrightarrow##
My first attempt revolved mostly around the solution method shown in this "site" or PowerPoint: http://physics.gmu.edu/~joe/PHYS685/Topic4.pdf .

However, after studying the content and writing down my answer for the monopole moment as equal to ##\sqrt{\frac{1}{4 \pi}} \rho##, I found out the answer was incorrect.

To my understanding, I should plug in the value for ##\rho_q (\vec{r}_s)## (expressed as a Dirac delta function) back into the long "multipole moments" expression before doing the integral to find for ##\rho_\ell ^m##.

However, I'm just stumped on how to begin solving for the integral that looks as chaotic as this (e.g. Dirac delta functions ... to the third "power").

If my line of thought is correct, after solving for the integral, I would then plug in the numerical value for ##\ell## in ##\rho## to find the values of the monopole (i.e. ##\ell=0##) and multipole (i.e. ## \ell > 0##) moments.

Thank you for reading through this. And, if anybody here can help me out, thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Athenian said:
note that ##\rho_q (\vec{r}_s) = q\delta^{(3)} (\vec{r}_s)## (i.e. the definition of a charge density at the origin
However, I'm just stumped on how to begin solving for the integral that looks as chaotic as this (e.g. Dirac delta functions ... to the third "power").
The "3" in the expression ##\delta^{(3)} (\vec{r}_s)## denotes the number of spatial dimensions. That is, you are working in 3-dimensional space. The 3 is not a power. (You put "power" in quotes, so maybe you weren't implying that the 3 is actually a power.)

See here for the explicit expression for ##\delta^{(3)} (\vec{r}_s)## in spherical coordinates.

Likes Athenian

1. What are monopole and multipole moments of the electric potential?

The monopole moment of the electric potential is a measure of the overall strength of an electric field at a given point, while the multipole moments describe the distribution of the electric field in different directions.

2. How are monopole and multipole moments calculated?

The monopole moment is calculated by taking the integral of the electric potential over a given volume, while the multipole moments are calculated using a series expansion of the electric potential.

3. Why is it important to find the monopole and multipole moments of the electric potential?

Knowing the monopole and multipole moments allows us to better understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with charged particles. This information is crucial in many areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

4. Can the monopole and multipole moments be measured experimentally?

Yes, the monopole moment can be measured directly using a charge detector, while the multipole moments can be measured indirectly through the effects they have on the behavior of charged particles.

5. How do the monopole and multipole moments relate to each other?

The monopole moment is the first term in the series expansion of the multipole moments. As the order of the multipole moment increases, the accuracy of the electric field representation also increases.