Finding the Path of a Particle with Initial Velocity and Force

In summary, the shape of the path of a particle can be determined by solving the equations of motion, which are dependent on the given initial velocity and constant force vectors. A parabolic path is possible if the initial velocity and force vectors are non-parallel and non-antiparallel in a given frame. A circular path is impossible in a given frame if the force vector is constant, but if the magnitude of the force vector is constant, then a circular path is possible if a specific relationship between the initial velocity and force vectors is met. A straight line path is possible if the force vector is parallel or antiparallel to the initial velocity vector. Otherwise, the shape of the path
LoveBoy
Hi There.
I want to ask a question, here it is :-

How to find the path of a particle if initial velocity(vector) is given and constant force(vector) acts on the particle.

Like :-
1) How can we determine the path will be PARABOLIC
2) How can we determine the path will be CIRCULAR.
3) How can we determine the path will be STRAIGHT LINE.If you don't understand , i'll post the question if necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
LoveBoy said:
Hi There.
I want to ask a question, here it is :-

How to find the path of a particle if initial velocity(vector) is given and constant force(vector) acts on the particle.

Like :-
2) How can we determine the path will be CIRCULAR.
3) How can we determine the path will be STRAIGHT LINE.If you don't understand , i'll post the question if necessary.

If you want help with a specific problem, you should post it in the homework section.

In general, you determine the path of a particle by solving the equation(s) of motion.

PeroK said:
In general, you determine the path of a particle by solving the equation(s) of motion.
That is my question ?
How do we solve it if initial velocity vector is given and constant force(vector) is given ?

LoveBoy said:
That is my question ?
How do we solve it if initial velocity vector is given and constant force(vector) is given ?

You use one of the kinematical equations!

If this is from a school work, you should already know about these kinematical equations. In any case, this is too vague. Pick a specific problem you are having trouble with, attempt as much as you can, and then post in the HW forum. Otherwise, you'll get vague answers to accompany your vague questions.

Zz.

LoveBoy said:
That is my question ?

You have one vector equation, which is equivalent to three equations, one for each spatial dimension:

##\vec{r} = \vec{r}_0 + \vec{v}_0 t + \frac{1}{2} \vec{a} t^2##

Or:

##x = x_0 + v_{0x} + \frac{1}{2}a_xt^2, \ \ y = y_0 + v_{0y} + \frac{1}{2} a_yt^2, \ \ z = z_0 + v_{0z} + \frac{1}{2} a_zt^2##

Finding the shape of the path then depends on finding a relationship between ##x, y## and ##z##.

You should try some examples in two dimensions.

Thanks for posting.
But i don't understand it well.

I'll post a question in HW section .
Thanks again !

init velocity vector = P const force vector = Q
LoveBoy said:
if in frame A ,P is non parallel and non antiparallel to Q -- parabolic path in frame A
LoveBoy said:
2) How can we determine the path will be CIRCULAR
if Q is const in frame A, then circular motion impossible in frame A
if only mag of Q const , then ---
if (|P|^2) / (proj of instantaneous Q vector along normal to P) = const ---- circular motion
LoveBoy said:
3) How can we determine the path will be STRAIGHT LINE.
Q parallel or anti parallel to P --straight line

Related to Finding the Path of a Particle with Initial Velocity and Force

1. How do I calculate the position of a particle with initial velocity and force?

The position of a particle with initial velocity and force can be calculated using the equation x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. What is the difference between velocity and force?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position, while force is a measure of the interaction between two objects that causes a change in motion.

3. How does the initial velocity and force affect the path of a particle?

The initial velocity and force determine the direction and magnitude of the particle's motion. The initial velocity determines the speed and direction of the particle, while the force can change the particle's speed and direction over time.

4. What is the role of acceleration in finding the path of a particle?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It determines how quickly the particle's velocity changes, which in turn affects its path. Acceleration can be caused by an applied force or by the force of gravity.

5. Can the path of a particle with initial velocity and force be predicted accurately?

The path of a particle with initial velocity and force can be predicted accurately if the forces acting on the particle are known and if the particle is not affected by external factors such as air resistance. However, unpredictable factors such as friction and wind can affect the particle's path and make it difficult to accurately predict its motion.