Finding the percentage of composition in the mixture

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding relevant values for a chemical reaction involving sodium hydroxide and a carbonate mixture. The suggested approach is to calculate the amount of HCl reacted with NaOH, and then use that information to determine the amount of HCl reacted with the carbonate mixture. The question of whether the number of moles of MgCO3 and CaCO3 are equal is also raised, with the suggestion to calculate the excess amount of HCl present in the mixture. Additionally, the importance of considering both Mg and Ca in the reaction is emphasized.
nineteen
Homework Statement
A mixture of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate weighs 2.36 g. It is dissolved in a 700 ml, 0.10 moles per cubic decimeter Hydrochloric solution. The resulting solution is then diluted up to 25 cubic decimeter with water. 20 ml of sodium hydroxide completely reacts with 25 ml of above prepared solution. Find the percentage composition of composition of the mixture.
Relevant Equations
C = n/v , C1V1=C2V2 , number of moles = mass/molar mass ..... I don't know what other equations appear here.
The thing is that, I don't know how to approach this question and the particular steps for relevant value findings. Please show me the path, and I will go in it friends. I couldn't attempt as I have no clue how to approach this. Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The titration with sodium hydroxide will tell you how much HCl remains in solution after reaction with the carbonate mixture. Therefore, a good starting point is to calculate how much HCl reacted with NaOH in the last step in order to infer how much HCl reacted with the carbonate mixture.

Likes nineteen
Ygggdrasil said:
The titration with sodium hydroxide will tell you how much HCl remains in solution after reaction with the carbonate mixture. Therefore, a good starting point is to calculate how much HCl reacted with NaOH in the last step in order to infer how much HCl reacted with the carbonate mixture.

Yeah I did that, thank you very much. Hey are the number of moles of MgCO3 and number of moles of CaCO3 equal ? I could come to a solution but I don't know whether it is correct or not. Are the number of moles of the both equal?

What should I do after finding the excess amount of HCL present in the mixture that was diluted up to 25 dm3?

Targeting only for carbonate will not be enough information if you are looking for both how much Mg and how much Ca.

Assume x moles of magnesium carbonate and y moles of calcium carbonate.

Titration told you x+y.

Can you express sample mass with x, y?

1. What is the definition of percentage composition in a mixture?

Percentage composition in a mixture refers to the proportion of each component in a mixture, expressed as a percentage of the total mass or volume of the mixture.

2. How do you calculate the percentage composition in a mixture?

The percentage composition in a mixture can be calculated by dividing the mass or volume of each component in the mixture by the total mass or volume of the mixture, and then multiplying by 100%.

3. Why is it important to determine the percentage composition in a mixture?

Determining the percentage composition in a mixture is important in various fields of science, such as chemistry and biology, as it allows us to understand the properties and behavior of the mixture. It also helps in identifying the components present in the mixture and their relative amounts.

4. What are some methods for finding the percentage composition in a mixture?

Some common methods for finding the percentage composition in a mixture include gravimetric analysis, volumetric analysis, and spectroscopic analysis. These methods involve measuring the mass or volume of the components in the mixture and using mathematical calculations to determine the percentage composition.

5. How can the percentage composition in a mixture be used in practical applications?

The percentage composition in a mixture has various practical applications, such as in quality control and product development. It can also be used to determine the nutritional value of food products or the concentration of active ingredients in medications. Additionally, it is useful in environmental studies and forensic analysis.