Finding the period of a pendulum witha string that has mass

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the period of a single small-amplitude oscillation for a pendulum with a non-negligible string and a non-point mass bob. The theoretical moment of inertia for a long thin rod is given as 1/12 mL^2 and the individual has attempted a solution which they are unsure of. Another individual suggests checking the equation for the limiting case of a massless string and point-mass bob.
Physics Man
1. The problem statement, all variables and gihttps://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/218400 ven/known data
Assuming the string from a simple pendulum did not have negligible mass and the pendulum bob was not a point mass, then determine an expression for the period of a single small-amplitude oscillation, treating the string as a rigid rod.

Homework Equations

Theoretical moment of inertia of center of mass for long thin rod = 1/12 mL^2

The Attempt at a Solution

https://prnt.sc/i02al1 This is what I did but I don't think that it is right

jODFzxuTTEim-4LYVRrYeA.jpg

Attachments

• jODFzxuTTEim-4LYVRrYeA.jpg
    jODFzxuTTEim-4LYVRrYeA.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 505
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Man said:
This is what I did but I don't think that it is right
Why not? Check if your equation reduces to the limiting case for which you know the answer, namely massless string and point-mass bob.

Physics Man said:
solved
Please do not delete the post that initiated the thread.

1. How does the mass of the string affect the period of a pendulum?

The mass of the string does not affect the period of a pendulum significantly. The period of a pendulum is only affected by the length of the string and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the equation for finding the period of a pendulum with a string that has mass?

The equation for calculating the period of a pendulum with a string that has mass is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How can the period of a pendulum be measured accurately?

The period of a pendulum can be measured accurately using a stopwatch to time the number of swings in a set amount of time. This value can then be used in the equation to calculate the period.

4. Does the length of the string affect the period of a pendulum with a string that has mass?

Yes, the length of the string does affect the period of a pendulum with a string that has mass. As the length of the string increases, the period of the pendulum also increases.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the period of a pendulum with a string that has mass?

The acceleration due to gravity affects the period of a pendulum with a string that has mass by increasing the period as the gravitational force increases. This means that the period will be shorter on Earth than on the moon, where the acceleration due to gravity is lower.