Finding the potential inside a semiconductor

In summary, the task is to use the Poisson equation to calculate the potential inside a semiconductor with a barrier of potential height ##\phi_B## and a donator doping of ##N1 > N2##. Then, using the Schroedinger equation, derive the probability density for electrons assuming equal masses. The potential can be found analytically and the probability density can be obtained using statistical physics and the Boltzmann statistics. At ambient temperature, the barrier height is much larger than the thermal energy, so there are no free carriers within the barrier and the charge density is equal to the concentration of donors, resulting in a quadratic potential barrier.
Christoffelsymbol100

Homework Statement

My question is more about understanding the task itself, not about calculation.

I am supposed to use the poisson equation, to derive the potential inside a semiconductor for a barrier with potential height ##\phi_B## and a donator doping with ##N1 > N2##. Then I should use the schroedinger equation to derive the probability density for electrons and assume that m1 = m2. I have drawn the situation below.

https://imgur.com/a/JXAlLf5

Homework Equations

Poisson Equation: ##\frac{d^2V}{dx^2} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0\cdot \epsilon_r}##

Time-Independent Schroedinger Equation: ## -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d}{dx}\psi + V\psi = E\psi##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

As I said, it is more about understanding the question. I already talked to my teacher but didn't understand.

First, I have to use poissons equation to calculate the potential. The charge density is given by the donator density N1 and N2 in the specific regions and the free electrons densities. I can plug this in and solve the poisson equation. On ther other hand, in the drawing, isn't the potential already given as this barrier?

Then I should use schrödingers equation to get the probability densities of the electrons. I thought about plugging in the potential from the poisson equation and if I am lucky, I can solve this analitically to get the wave function. The probability density then is the amplitude squared. However the presence of the barrier suggest, that this is just a simple textbook tunneling problem. If that is the case however, I am just not sure how this task is then connected to the one above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Christoffelsymbol100 said:
Then I should use the schroedinger equation
No you don't. The dimensions are much larger than atomic and semi-classical approximation will do just fine.
You need to use statistical physics to get probability distribution. In non-degenerate case, the Boltzmann statistics will do.
Next simplification comes from the fact that at ambient temperature, kT ~ 26 meV, that is much smaller than typical barrier heights in semiconductor junctions.
Therefore, you can say that within the barrier, there are no free carriers and charge density is equal to the concentration of donors.
The result is a quadratic potential barrier.

1. What is a semiconductor and how does it work?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. It contains atoms with incomplete outer electron shells, which allows them to easily gain or lose electrons and conduct electricity. The electrical properties of a semiconductor can be altered by adding impurities or applying an electric field, making it a crucial component in electronic devices.

2. What is the process of finding the potential inside a semiconductor?

The process of finding the potential inside a semiconductor involves solving the Poisson equation, which relates the potential to the distribution of charge carriers and impurities within the material. This equation takes into account the boundary conditions, such as the contacts and doping levels, to determine the potential distribution within the semiconductor.

3. How does the potential inside a semiconductor affect its performance?

The potential inside a semiconductor plays a crucial role in its performance. It determines the flow of charge carriers, which affects the conductivity and speed of electronic devices. In devices such as transistors, the potential can be used to control the flow of electrons, allowing for the amplification and switching of electrical signals.

4. What factors can affect the potential inside a semiconductor?

The potential inside a semiconductor can be affected by various factors such as the doping concentration, temperature, and external voltage. The type and concentration of impurities, as well as the material properties, also play a role in determining the potential distribution.

5. How does the potential inside a semiconductor relate to its band structure?

The potential inside a semiconductor can change the energy levels of the electrons within its band structure. This can lead to the formation of energy bands, where electrons can move freely, or band gaps, where electrons are unable to move. The potential also affects the Fermi level, which determines the availability of electrons for conduction.