Finding the radius of a Proton's arc inside a square.

In summary, the conversation is about a practice question on an exam where the problem is to find the radius of an arc made by a proton. The person has tried using arc length equations and integrating change in dx and dy, but their answers were nonsensical. They feel that the solution is simple and they may not have paid enough attention in Geometry. They ask for help and someone suggests that the radius may be easily determined by inspecting the image. Later, the person figures out the radius and shares that it was indeed trivial. They also mention that the radius can be used to calculate the required magnetic field of a square magnet to produce a similar curve in a proton's path.
RelativeJosef

Homework Statement

This is for a practice question on an exam:

I am able to finish the problem, if I could figure out how to find the radius of this arc the proton makes.

Homework Equations

I have nothing.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried arc length equations and just integrating the change in dx and dy, but all my answers have been nonsensical.

I have a feeling this is very simple and I wasn't paying attention enough in Geometry back in grade school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 8.43.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 8.43.07 AM.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
RelativeJosef said:

Homework Statement

This is for a practice question on an exam:

I am able to finish the problem, if I could figure out how to find the radius of this arc the proton makes.

Homework Equations

I have nothing.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried arc length equations and just integrating the change in dx and dy, but all my answers have been nonsensical.

I have a feeling this is very simple and I wasn't paying attention enough in Geometry back in grade school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please write out the complete problem statement.
Surely the radius of the arc is trivial by inspection of the image?

gneill said:
Please write out the complete problem statement.
Surely the radius of the arc is trivial by inspection of the image?
I have since deduced the radius, and indeed it was trivial.

If you are interested, in calculating the required magnetic field of this square magnet to produce such a curve in a protons path through the magnetic field, the radius is simply the side length of one side of the square.

1. How do you find the radius of a proton's arc inside a square?

To find the radius of a proton's arc inside a square, you would need to know the length of the square's side and the angle of the arc. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to calculate the radius.

2. Why is it important to know the radius of a proton's arc inside a square?

Knowing the radius of a proton's arc inside a square can provide valuable information about the shape and size of the proton. This can also help in understanding the forces that act on the proton within the square.

3. Can the radius of a proton's arc change inside a square?

Yes, the radius of a proton's arc can change inside a square depending on the angle of the arc and the size of the square. It can also be affected by external forces acting on the proton.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the radius of a proton's arc inside a square?

The unit of measurement for the radius of a proton's arc inside a square is typically in meters (m) or nanometers (nm).

5. Are there any real-life applications for knowing the radius of a proton's arc inside a square?

Yes, knowing the radius of a proton's arc inside a square can have applications in various fields such as physics and engineering. It can also help in understanding the behavior of particles in different environments and conditions.