Finding the rate of production of O2 (g) from information given

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of 0.20 g of KClO3 in 2.8 seconds and the resulting rate of oxygen gas production at SATP. The solution involves converting the mass of KClO3 to moles, using the balanced reaction equation to determine the rate of decomposition, and then using the ratio of reactants to determine the rate of oxygen gas production. The final answer should be 0.000874 mol/s O2 (g), which is equivalent to 22 mL/s.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

2 KClO3 (s) + heat --> 2 KCl (s) + 3 O2 (g)

If 0.20 g of KClO3 (s) decomposes in 2.8 s, at what rate is oxygen O2 (g) released over this time at SATP?

The Attempt at a Solution

0.20 g KClO3 x 1 mol/122.5495 g = 0.001632 mol KClO3

Since 0.001632 mol decomposes in 2.8 seconds I found that 2 mol of it decomposes in 3431.37 seconds.

So then to find the rate of decomposition of KClO3 I did 2/3431.37 = 0.000583 mol/s

Now that I know the rate of decomposition of KClO3 I can find the rate of production of oxygen gas from the balanced reaction equation.

0.000583 mol/s - 2 mol
n - 3 mol

n = 0.000874 mol/s O2 (g)

The answer in the back says 22 mL/s but I have know idea how that answer was gotten. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually never mind I forgot to do one extra step with the PV = nRT, that was my error.

Just a follow up question though, in a reaction such as 4 NO + 6 H2O -> 4 NH3 + 5 O2, where we know that the initial rate of NO is 0.050 mol/L*s so I tried to find the rate at which water is consumed and found it to be 0.075 mol/Ls. So if I have to explain why it is greater, I would start by saying that water is found in a greater number of moles, but we don't know the concentration though so how do know for sure that it has to have a greater rate?

needingtoknow said:
Just a follow up question though, in a reaction such as 4 NO + 6 H2O -> 4 NH3 + 5 O2, where we know that the initial rate of NO is 0.050 mol/L*s so I tried to find the rate at which water is consumed and found it to be 0.075 mol/Ls. So if I have to explain why it is greater, I would start by saying that water is found in a greater number of moles, but we don't know the concentration though so how do know for sure that it has to have a greater rate?
Doesn't the ratio of consumption follow immediately from this:
4 NO + 6 H2O​
?

But how do we know how much concentrations we have of each?

needingtoknow said:
But how do we know how much concentrations we have of each?
Why does that matter? If one of the reagents is dilute, that will slow the reaction rate, but it won't alter the ratio between the quantities of the two agents consumed by the reaction.

needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

2 KClO3 (s) + heat --> 2 KCl (s) + 3 O2 (g)

If 0.20 g of KClO3 (s) decomposes in 2.8 s, at what rate is oxygen O2 (g) released over this time at SATP?

The Attempt at a Solution

0.20 g KClO3 x 1 mol/122.5495 g = 0.001632 mol KClO3

Since 0.001632 mol decomposes in 2.8 seconds I found that 2 mol of it decomposes in 3431.37 seconds.

So then to find the rate of decomposition of KClO3 I did 2/3431.37 = 0.000583 mol/s

Now that I know the rate of decomposition of KClO3 I can find the rate of production of oxygen gas from the balanced reaction equation.

0.000583 mol/s - 2 mol
n - 3 mol

n = 0.000874 mol/s O2 (g)

The answer in the back says 22 mL/s but I have know idea how that answer was gotten. Can someone please help?

Can you please explain how you did this question?

1. How do I calculate the rate of production of O2 (g)?

To calculate the rate of production of O2 (g), you will need to know the change in O2 concentration over a specific time period. This can be determined by taking multiple measurements of O2 concentration at different time points and using the slope of the resulting line as the rate of production.

2. What information do I need to find the rate of production of O2 (g)?

To find the rate of production of O2 (g), you will need to know the initial and final concentration of O2, the time interval between these measurements, and the volume of the reaction vessel. This information will allow you to calculate the change in O2 concentration over time and determine the rate of production.

3. How does temperature affect the rate of production of O2 (g)?

Temperature can greatly affect the rate of production of O2 (g). In general, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the rate of production. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules to react, leading to more collisions and faster reactions.

4. What is the significance of finding the rate of production of O2 (g)?

Finding the rate of production of O2 (g) is important for understanding the kinetics of a reaction and determining the efficiency of a reaction. It can also help in optimizing reaction conditions and predicting the amount of product that can be produced in a given time frame.

5. Can the rate of production of O2 (g) be affected by catalysts?

Yes, catalysts can affect the rate of production of O2 (g). Catalysts are substances that can speed up a reaction without being consumed in the process. They work by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it easier and faster for the reactants to form products. This results in an increase in the rate of production of O2 (g).