Finding the resultant force, moment, and x-y coordinates

In summary, the formula for finding the resultant force is F = √(Fx² + Fy²), the moment of a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force using the formula M = Fd, x-y coordinates represent a point in a two-dimensional coordinate system where the x-coordinate represents the horizontal position and the y-coordinate represents the vertical position, finding the resultant force is important for understanding the overall effect of multiple forces acting on an object, and the x-y coordinates of a point can be found using the Pythagorean theorem.
j19063dc
Homework Statement
I am trying to find help with finding the x any y coords of the resultant force, I have found the resultant force and moment but i think i may have run into problems finding the x and y coordinates. I know tha m_x' = sum Mx' but im unsure of the equation
Relevant Equations
M_x' = sum Mx', My'=sumMy'
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 10.06.05 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You have missed out a step. You need to find the resultant force as a vector, not just its magnitude, before you can find the point where it acts.

1. What is the definition of resultant force?

The resultant force is the single force that has the same effect as all the individual forces acting on an object combined. It is the vector sum of all the forces.

2. How do you calculate the resultant force?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to first find the components of each individual force in the x and y directions. Then, add all the x components together and all the y components together. The resultant force can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem with the x and y components as the legs of a right triangle.

3. What is the definition of moment?

Moment, also known as torque, is the measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis of rotation.

4. How do you find the moment of a force?

To find the moment of a force, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the point or axis of rotation. The moment is then calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis of rotation.

5. What are x-y coordinates and why are they important in finding the resultant force and moment?

X-y coordinates, also known as Cartesian coordinates, are a system of coordinates used to locate points on a plane. They are important in finding the resultant force and moment because they allow us to break down forces and moments into their x and y components, making it easier to calculate the resultant force and moment.