Finding the resultant force using a vector polygon diagram

In summary, the correct resultant force is 21.767 N at an angle of 61.34 degrees (or 151.34 degrees bearing). Initially, the answer was incorrect due to the omission of force F1. After accounting for this force, the final answer is slightly different due to rounding.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
None
Hi I made an attempt at this problem but have got the wrong answer
Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 20.30.02.png

Screenshot 2020-09-28 at 20.30.32.png

IMG_5296.JPG

The correct answer is actually resultant force = 21.767 N at 61.34 degrees (or 151.34 degrees bearing), but I don't know how they got that?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you including F1?

Likes BvU
Lnewqban said:
Are you including F1?

Oops, I initially thought the Q wanted me to solely focus on force F2 and F3 and ignore F1. I think I got the answer now when taking F1 into account

I got resultant force to be 21.82N at angle 61.30 degrees, which is slightly different from the correct answer given. But I thinks it's because of rounded values.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a vector polygon diagram?

A vector polygon diagram is a graphical representation of multiple vector quantities, showing their magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the resultant force of multiple vectors.

2. How do you draw a vector polygon diagram?

To draw a vector polygon diagram, you first need to determine the magnitude and direction of each vector. Then, draw each vector as an arrow in the correct direction and scale the length according to its magnitude. Finally, connect the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector, and so on until you have included all vectors in the diagram.

3. What is the purpose of a vector polygon diagram?

The purpose of a vector polygon diagram is to determine the resultant force of multiple vectors. By drawing all vectors in a diagram and connecting them in a polygon, you can easily calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

4. How do you find the resultant force using a vector polygon diagram?

To find the resultant force using a vector polygon diagram, you need to first find the horizontal and vertical components of each vector. Then, add all the horizontal components and all the vertical components separately. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resultant force and use trigonometric functions to determine its direction.

5. What are some common mistakes when using a vector polygon diagram?

Some common mistakes when using a vector polygon diagram include not properly scaling the vectors, not correctly determining the direction of the vectors, and not including all vectors in the diagram. It is also important to ensure that all vectors are drawn in the correct order and that the resultant force is calculated accurately using the correct mathematical formulas.