Finding the solution to system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns

In summary, the conversation discusses how the equations ##2x_1 - 8x_3 = 4## and ##-2x_1+8x_3= -4## cannot hold at the same time, leading to the conclusion that the solution space is empty and there is nothing more that can be done. The unexpected result of ##0 \ne 1## is accepted and no values for ##x_1## or ##x_3## will satisfy the equation.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1685829224949.png

I am trying to find solutions, however, I think I am getting a strange result that I am not too sure how to intercept.

I first multiply the first equation by 2 to get ##2x_1 - 8x_3 = 4## and then I add it to the second equation below to get ##0 = 1##. I think this means that there is no values for ##x_1## or ##x_3## that satisfy the equation. I am not too sure how to go from here but I know ##x_2## is a leading variable of the third equation.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks!

Likes FactChecker
Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
I first multiply the first equation by 2 to get ##2x_1 - 8x_3 = 4## and then I add it to the second equation below to get ##0 = 1##. I think this means that there is no values for ##x_1## or ##x_3## that satisfy the equation.
Right. If you multiply the first line by ##-2## then you get ##-2x_1+8x_3= -4## and ##-2x_1+8x_3= -3.##
This cannot hold at the same time.
ChiralSuperfields said:
I am not too sure how to go from here but I know ##x_2## is a leading variable of the third equation.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks!
The solution space is empty. There is nothing left that can be done.

Likes FactChecker and ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
get ##0 = 1##. I think this means that there is no values for ##x_1## or ##x_3## that satisfy the equation. I am not too sure how to go from here
Good work. Sometimes the hardest problems are the ones that give you an unexpected result. Just double-check your result and accept what it says. Your result is not just about ##x_1## and ##x_3##, it is about ##0 \ne 1##. So nothing more can be done.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and fresh_42

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of equations that are solved together to find the values of multiple unknown variables. In a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns, there are 3 equations and 3 variables that need to be solved simultaneously.

2. How do you solve a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns?

To solve a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable at a time until the values of all three variables are found.

3. Can a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns can have one unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. This depends on the specific equations and the relationship between them.

4. What if I have more than 3 equations and 3 unknowns?

If you have more than 3 equations and 3 unknowns, you can still use the same methods to solve the system. However, it may be more time-consuming and complex as you will have more equations to manipulate and more variables to solve for.

5. Why is solving a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns important?

Solving a system of 3 equations with 3 unknowns is important because it allows us to find the values of multiple variables that satisfy all three equations. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics, where multiple variables are involved in a system.