Finding the speed of a book against a vertical wall

In summary, the question is asking for the final speed of a book that is initially at rest after traveling 0.400 m up a wall. The equations used to solve this problem are ∑F = m*a and vf2 = vi2 + 2 * a * d, when the initial velocity is 0. A free body diagram is also used to determine the forces acting on the book. The frictional force should be downward and can be calculated using fk = μN. After solving for acceleration, it can be plugged into the kinematic equation to find the final velocity.
Vanessa Avila

Homework Statement

t09diQz.jpg

the main question asks: "If the book is initially at rest, what is its speed after it has traveled 0.400 m up the wall?"

Homework Equations

∑F = m*a
vf2 = vi2 + 2 * a * d , when initial velocity is 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's my free body diagram:
kOUypje.jpg

and out of that FBD I got these equations:
∑Fx=N−Fcos(60)=0
∑Fy=fk+Fsin(60)=ma

I know that fk=μ(Fcos(60)) = μN

Should i solve for the acceleration and then plug it in the kinematics equation to solve for final velocity? And are my equations and FBD right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Avila said:

Homework Statement

t09diQz.jpg

the main question asks: "If the book is initially at rest, what is its speed after it has traveled 0.400 m up the wall?"

Homework Equations

∑F = m*a
vf2 = vi2 + 2 * a * d , when initial velocity is 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's my free body diagram:
kOUypje.jpg

and out of that FBD I got these equations:
∑Fx=N−Fcos(60)=0
∑Fy=fk+Fsin(60)=ma

I know that fk=μ(Fcos(60)) = μN

Should i solve for the acceleration and then plug it in the kinematics equation to solve for final velocity? And are my equations and FBD right?
The book is moving upward. Shouldn't the frictional force be downward then?

cnh1995 said:
The book is moving upward. Shouldn't the frictional force be downward then?
Oh okay so Fsin60 - mg - fk then? I forgot to add the mg on my equation up there.

Vanessa Avila said:
Oh okay so Fsin60 - mg - fk then
Right.

cnh1995 said:
Right.
Ohh okay i didn't catch the "up" part on the question. So i can solve for acceleration now then given that equation?

Vanessa Avila said:
Ohh okay i didn't catch the "up" part on the question. So i can solve for acceleration now then given that equation?
Yes. And then plug it in the kinematic equation
Vanessa Avila said:
vf2 = vi2 + 2 * a * d

cnh1995 said:
Yes. And then plug it in the kinematic equation
Awesome. I did that and i got the right answer. Thanks a lot! :)

Likes cnh1995

1. How can I find the speed of a book against a vertical wall?

To find the speed of a book against a vertical wall, you will need to use the formula v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance the book travels, and t is the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. What materials do I need to measure the speed of a book against a vertical wall?

To measure the speed of a book against a vertical wall, you will need a stopwatch or timer, a measuring tape or ruler, and a book. You may also want to use a calculator to calculate the speed using the formula v = d/t.

3. Can I use any book to measure its speed against a vertical wall?

Yes, you can use any book to measure its speed against a vertical wall. However, it is important to make sure the book is of similar weight and size to ensure accurate results.

4. How do I measure the distance traveled by the book?

To measure the distance traveled by the book, place the book at the bottom of the wall and mark the starting point. Then, using a measuring tape or ruler, measure the distance from the starting point to the highest point the book reaches on the wall. This will give you the distance traveled by the book.

5. Can I calculate the speed of the book if I know the distance and time it took to travel?

Yes, you can calculate the speed of the book by using the formula v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that distance. Simply plug in the known values and solve for v to find the speed of the book.