Finding the time and cost it takes for manufacturing

In summary, it takes 1.25 minutes to set up for each operation, and it costs €25.00 per hour to have the machine running. This would equate to a total price of €740.00 for 1000 components.
LockyPhysics
Hi,

I'm looking for some help on an assignment I have been given!
I know how to do everything except to calculate the time it takes for the turning, milling and drilling processes.
I would appreciate if you could give me the formulas along with the answer!
The component is attached as I could not post it here.

Thanks a Million,
Here is the assignment:

You have been given the task of estimating the total cost of manufacturing 1000 components in your Engineering Company. The components (shown) are manufactured from high-grade steel using a lathe and a milling machine only.
Using the following information estimate the total cost if production time is charged out at €25.00 per hour and material cost at €2.00 per piece.
The first operation is turning. A tungsten carbide tool is used at a cutting speed of 60m/min and a feed rate of 0.06mm/rev. The second operation is milling. A face mill, 50mm diameter with 8 tungsten carbide inserts is used at a cutting speed of 60m/min and a feed rate of 0.1mm/tooth. The third operation is drilling. The drill is high-speed steel and is used on the milling machine at a cutting speed of 20m/min and a feed rate of 0.1 mm/rev. The depth of the hole is 27.1mm.
Prorated downtime for all work set up procedures and transfer from lathe to milling machine is 1.25 minutes per component. Prorated downtime for tool changing on the milling machine is 4.4 minutes per component

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
Well - use the rates for machining and the rates for down time to determine cost.

One should be able to determine how long it takes to mill/machine each component and then multiply by the number of components to get the total time. Then multiply the time by the cost/unit time.

I understand this but I don't know how to determine how long it takes to mill/machine each component!?

Look at the diagram and the dimensions of the blank vs the final piece.

Over what length is the turning performed? How long does that take? Is there more than one pass?

The second operation is the face milling. Over what length?

The third operation is drilling - how many holes and to what depth?

There is a tool change between face mill and drilling.

I don't know... this is what I'm trying to figure out!?

LockyPhysics said:
I don't know... this is what I'm trying to figure out!?

You have all the necessary data:
The first operation is turning. A tungsten carbide tool is used at a
cutting speed of 60m/min and a feed rate of 0.06mm/rev.

The second operation is milling. A face mill,
50mm diameter with 8 tungsten carbide inserts is used at a cutting speed of 60m/min and a feed rate of 0.1mm/tooth.

The third operation is drilling. The drill is high-speed steel and is used on the milling machine at a cutting speed of 20m/min and a feed rate of 0.1 mm/rev. The depth of the hole is 27.1mm.

Prorated downtime for all work set up procedures and transfer from lathe to milling machine is 1.25 minutes per component. Prorated downtime for tool changing on the milling machine is 4.4 minutes per component
Normally, the calculations require knowing depth-of-cut for each tool, but your drawing specifies the number of passes for each process (e.g., milling in one pass, turning in three). Just be careful to remember that the face-milling tool has eight cutting edges.

1. What factors affect the time and cost of manufacturing?

The time and cost of manufacturing can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the complexity of the product, the availability and cost of raw materials, the efficiency of the production process, and the size and experience of the manufacturing team.

2. How can we accurately estimate the time and cost of manufacturing?

Accurately estimating the time and cost of manufacturing requires thorough research and analysis. This includes creating a detailed production plan, obtaining quotes from suppliers, and considering any potential unforeseen costs or delays.

3. How can we reduce the time and cost of manufacturing?

There are several strategies that can be employed to reduce the time and cost of manufacturing. These include streamlining the production process, negotiating better prices for raw materials, and investing in technology and automation.

4. How can we ensure the quality of the product while minimizing manufacturing time and cost?

Maintaining quality while minimizing manufacturing time and cost requires a balance between efficiency and attention to detail. This can be achieved through rigorous quality control measures, continuous improvement processes, and proper training and management of the manufacturing team.

5. How important is it to regularly review and adjust the estimated time and cost of manufacturing?

Regularly reviewing and adjusting the estimated time and cost of manufacturing is crucial for staying on track and within budget. Changes in market conditions, availability of materials, and unexpected delays can all impact the original estimates, so it is important to continually reassess and make necessary adjustments.