Finding the time for an object to start rolling without slipping

ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am trying to derive the equation that my textbook presents (5.28), however, I notice that they don't use the right hand rule for the torque so there is a slight change in the sign in my derivation
Relevant Equations
##v_r = r\omega## for is a condition for rolling without slipping where ##v_r## is the speed of the COM of the object
For this,
1692502631779.png

I don't understand why they don't have a negative sign as the torque to the friction should be negative. To my understanding, I think the equation 5.27 should be ##I\frac{d \omega}{dt} = -F_{friction}R## from the right hand rule assuming out of the page is positive.

Noting that ##f_k = \mu_kmg## and integrating both sides, I get the equation of motion ##\frac{-Rmg \mu_kt}{I} = \omega(t)##

I also get ##v(t) = v_0 - u_kgt##

So setting the two equations equal to each other in the relation for rolling motion:

##v(t) = R \omega (t) ##

I get ##t_r = \frac{v_0}{\mu_kg(1 - \frac{mR^2}{I})}##. Could someone please explain to me who is wrong and why?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
assuming out of the page is positive.
What you quote of the problem does not indicate whether the motion is left to right or right to left. Assuming usual conventions and a positive velocity, it is L to R. In that case, the angular acceleration is clockwise, so negative and into the page.
Correspondingly, at rolling, ##v=-R\omega##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
What you quote of the problem does not indicate whether the motion is left to right or right to left. Assuming usual conventions and a positive velocity, it is L to R. In that case, the angular acceleration is clockwise, so negative and into the page.
Correspondingly, at rolling, ##v=-R\omega##.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex! However, do you please know where the equation ##v = -R \omega## came from? Sorry I have not seen that equation with the minus sign before (I have only seen ##v = R \omega##)

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex! However, do you please know where the equation ##v = -R \omega## came from? Sorry I have not seen that equation with the minus sign before (I have only seen ##v = R \omega##)

Many thanks!
The commonest convention is positive to the right for velocity and positive anticlockwise for rotation. If a disc is rolling to the right along a line underneath it then its rotation is clockwise, so a positive velocity means a negative rotation, etc.
You can think of it as being because the radius, measured from the axis to the ground contact is downwards, so negative. If it were rolling along the ceiling then there would be no minus sign.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and SammyS
haruspex said:
The commonest convention is positive to the right for velocity and positive anticlockwise for rotation. If a disc is rolling to the right along a line underneath it then its rotation is clockwise, so a positive velocity means a negative rotation, etc.
You can think of it as being because the radius, measured from the axis to the ground contact is downwards, so negative. If it were rolling along the ceiling then there would be no minus sign.
Thank you for your help @haruspex! Your explanation makes sense

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for an object to start rolling without slipping?

The time it takes for an object to start rolling without slipping can be calculated using the formula: t = (2πr)/(v), where t is the time, r is the radius of the object, and v is the linear velocity.

2. What is meant by "rolling without slipping"?

Rolling without slipping refers to the motion of an object where its rotational motion and linear motion are synchronized, meaning that the object is rolling while maintaining contact with the surface without sliding or slipping.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the time it takes to start rolling without slipping?

The mass of the object does not affect the time it takes to start rolling without slipping, as it is not a factor in the formula for calculating this time. However, the mass of the object does affect its rotational inertia, which can impact its ability to roll without slipping.

4. Can an object start rolling without slipping on any surface?

No, an object can only start rolling without slipping on a surface with sufficient friction to prevent slipping. On a surface with too little friction, the object will slip instead of rolling.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the time it takes to start rolling without slipping?

The shape of an object does not directly affect the time it takes to start rolling without slipping. However, the shape can affect the object's rotational inertia, which can impact its ability to roll without slipping.