Finding the Torque on a Fixed Square

In summary, the problem involves a square of length L and mass M that is fixed at its center. A rod of length l is attached to the top left corner of the square, with a mass m attached on the other end. A motor on the top left corner applies a torque on the rod, with magnitude t0 eiwt, where t0 is a drive torsion. The goal is to find the angles theta1 and theta2, which represent the angle between the rod and the square, and the angle of rotation, respectively. The motor is mounted on the square and oscillates the mass on the rod parallel to the sides of the square. The mass is fixed on the end of the rod.
JClay813

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the following problem. I am given a square of length L and mass M that is fixed at its center. A rod of length l is is attached to the top left corner of the square, with a mass m attached on the other end. A motor applies a torque on the rod, this torque has magnitude t0 eiwt. Where t0 is a drive torsion. I need to find theta1, and theta2.
theta1 denotes the angle between the rod and the square, while theta2 denotes the angle of rotation.

I have attached an image for some more clarity.

Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that torque is given by F x r, but I'm not seeing how that helps me find either of the angles[/B]

Attachments

• Square Torque.jpeg
    Square Torque.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
JClay813 said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the following problem. I am given a square of length L and mass M that is fixed at its center. A rod of length l is is attached to the top left corner of the square, with a mass m attached on the other end. A motor applies a torque on the rod, this torque has magnitude t0 eiwt. Where t0 is a drive torsion. I need to find theta1, and theta2.
theta1 denotes the angle between the rod and the square, while theta2 denotes the angle of rotation.

I have attached an image for some more clarity.

Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that torque is given by F x r, but I'm not seeing how that helps me find either of the angles[/B]
I am glad to see that you have drawn a diagram. That always helps in solving problems like this. Looking at the diagram, I have some questions:
1) Where is the motor?
2) In which direction (cw or ccw) does the torque act?
3) Your torque magnitude is a function of time and is a complex variable. In general a magnitude is a real number. What does it mean to have a complex torque magnitude?
4) Are you intending to find the angles as functions of time?
5) The rod is attached to the square at the upper left hand corner. This could not be an equilibrium position because the mass at the end of the rod would tend to rotate the square ccw. So at what time is the square oriented with the rod at the upper left hand corner?

tnich said:
I am glad to see that you have drawn a diagram. That always helps in solving problems like this. Looking at the diagram, I have some questions:
1) Where is the motor?
2) In which direction (cw or ccw) does the torque act?
3) Your torque magnitude is a function of time and is a complex variable. In general a magnitude is a real number. What does it mean to have a complex torque magnitude?
4) Are you intending to find the angles as functions of time?
5) The rod is attached to the square at the upper left hand corner. This could not be an equilibrium position because the mass at the end of the rod would tend to rotate the square ccw. So at what time is the square oriented with the rod at the upper left hand corner?

The motor is on the upper left corner of the square, oscillating the rod. This is all of the information I have, so I'm not sure what to do.

Perhaps it's just me but..

How can anything move if the motor is top left and the square is "fixed" in the middle?

Can you add the motor and its axis of rotation to the drawing?

Likes tnich
The square is fixed in the middle so that it can rotate around the center. The "motor" oscillates the mass on the rod up and down, parallel to the sides of the square.

If the square, rod and mass are all attached (fixed together rigidly) they can only rotate about the centre of the square. In that case the mass cannot move linearly "up and down". If the mass is free to slide on the rod it could move linearly up and down. Is that the case?

CWatters said:
If the square, rod and mass are all attached (fixed together rigidly) they can only rotate about the centre of the square. In that case the mass cannot move linearly "up and down". If the mass is free to slide on the rod it could move linearly up and down. Is that the case?

No, the mass is fixed on the end of the rod

JClay813 said:
The square is fixed in the middle so that it can rotate around the center. The "motor" oscillates the mass on the rod up and down, parallel to the sides of the square.
Am I right in thinking that the motor is what connects the rod to the square? I.e, the motor is mounted on the square and flaps the rod back and forth, like a shoulder muscle flapping an arm.
I assume gravity is to be ignored, e,g. this is in a horizontal plane.

Draw separate FBDs for the arm and the square. Consider what forces act at their junction.

Last edited:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object.

2. How do you find the torque on a fixed square?

The torque on a fixed square can be found by multiplying the force applied to the square by the distance from the axis of rotation to where the force is applied.

3. What is the equation for torque?

The equation for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to where the force is applied.

4. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system.

5. Why is torque important in physics?

Torque is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict rotational motion and the stability of objects. It is also essential in many real-world applications, such as engineering and mechanics.