Finding the torque on a wire between two poles

In summary: The units of acceleration and force should match, i.e. same base unit (m) and same power of time in the denominator (s2).In summary, the maximum torque acting on a rectangular wire of length 3 cm and width 2 cm suspended vertically in a uniform magnetic field of 2 T is 0.0012 I (I in Amp, τ in N⋅m). The torque can only be calculated with a given current, and without the current there is no torque. It is recommended to include the proper units when giving the answer, with the units for torque being Newton⋅meters (N⋅m).
LuigiAM

Homework Statement

[/B]
A rectangular wire of length 3 cm and width 2 cm is suspended vertically between two poles producing a uniform field of 2 T. Calculate the maximum torque acting on the wire.

Homework Equations

Torque = AIB sin(Θ)
Maximum torque is when sin(Θ) = 1, so Maximum Torque = AIB

The Attempt at a Solution

Tmax = AIB

Tmax = I(0.03)(0.02)(2)

Tmax = 0.0012 I

Using the formula from the notes I feel like I can find the maximum torque in terms of the current I. Is there a way to obtain the torque without the current? I believe there is information missing in the question. All similar questions found on google or in the book always either give the current or give enough information to derive it. I haven't found a single such question without the current...

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a current, there is no magnetic moment of the loop and therefore no torque. You need a number for the current to find a number for the torque.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm just going to try the safe side and give the answer in terms of I but add a that if there is no current then there is no torque?

LuigiAM said:
I think I'm just going to try the safe side and give the answer in terms of I but add a that if there is no current then there is no torque?
Is this part of an online homework set of problems graded by some algorithm? If so, a numerical answer might be expected while the omission is in the statement of the problem. You may wish to ask your instructor. Otherwise, leaving the answer as τmax = 0.0012 I (I in Amp, τ in N⋅m) should be good enough. The units in parentheses are needed because you have a mix of numbers and symbols. That there is no torque when there is no current is implicit in the expression when someone sets I = 0.

Likes LuigiAM
No, it's a paper homework and we're expected to submit answers on paper. I like that better honestly.

Thanks for reminding me about including the units! I often forget to include them in my answers

LuigiAM said:
No, it's a paper homework and we're expected to submit answers on paper. I like that better honestly.

Thanks for reminding me about including the units! I often forget to include them in my answers
You're good to go.

LuigiAM said:
give the answer in terms of I

LuigiAM said:
Thanks for reminding me about including the units!
Need to be a bit careful quoting units on an answer which is a mix of numerics and unknowns. E.g. if you have a mass M (no units specified) and an acceleration of 2m/s2 then the force is 2M m/s2, not 2M Newtons.

Likes LuigiAM

What is torque and how does it relate to wires between two poles?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. In the context of wires between two poles, torque is the force that causes the wire to rotate around an axis. It is important to consider torque when dealing with wires between two poles because it can affect the stability and strength of the wire.

How do you calculate the torque on a wire between two poles?

The torque on a wire between two poles can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wire by the distance between the point of application and the axis of rotation. This is expressed as the formula: torque = force x distance.

What factors can affect the torque on a wire between two poles?

Several factors can affect the torque on a wire between two poles, including the strength and direction of the force applied to the wire, the distance between the two poles, and the material and thickness of the wire itself.

Why is it important to find the torque on a wire between two poles?

Finding the torque on a wire between two poles is important because it allows us to determine the stability and strength of the wire in its current configuration. This information is crucial in designing and implementing safe and efficient structures that use wires between poles, such as power lines or suspension bridges.

Can the torque on a wire between two poles be increased or decreased?

Yes, the torque on a wire between two poles can be increased or decreased by changing the force applied to the wire or the distance between the poles. For example, increasing the force or decreasing the distance will result in a higher torque, while decreasing the force or increasing the distance will result in a lower torque.