Finding the Value of Acceleration Due to Gravity: Using Graphs and Equations

In summary, the experiment titled 'mass on a spiral spring' was conducted to find the value of acceleration due to gravity. The experiment involved two parts, where the first part measured the oscillation period of the spring to find the spring constant, and the second part measured the ratio of extension of the spring as a function of suspended mass to create an e/m graph. By finding the gradient of the e/m graph and the spring constant from the first graph, the value of g can be calculated using the equation g=(e/m)k.
Motorbiker
Hello everyone,

I did an experiment titled 'mass on a spiral spring' in order to find the value for the acceleration due to gravity. The experiment consists of two parts. In the first part of this experiment, I just measured the oscillation period of a spring as a suspended mass and plotted these results onto a graph to find the spring constant.

In the 2nd part of the experiment, I measured the ratio of the extension of the spring as a function of suspended mass and plotted these results onto a graph, creating an e/m graph and then found the gradient of it.

My question to you is to find the value of the acceleration of gravity, do you simply multiply the gradients of both graphs?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Motorbiker said:
Hello everyone,

I did an experiment titled 'mass on a spiral spring' in order to find the value for the acceleration due to gravity. The experiment consists of two parts. In the first part of this experiment, I just measured the oscillation period of a spring as a suspended mass and plotted these results onto a graph to find the spring constant.

In the 2nd part of the experiment, I measured the ratio of the extension of the spring as a function of suspended mass and plotted these results onto a graph, creating an e/m graph and then found the gradient of it.

My question to you is to find the value of the acceleration of gravity, do you simply multiply the gradients of both graphs?

Thanks a lot
Welcome to the PF.

(In future schoolwork posts here, please fill out the Homework Help Template that you are provided -- it helps a lot in organizing the question and showing the relevant equations). :smile:

So what exactly are the relevant equations? Can you show what you mean by using the gradients of the two graphs -- why will that give you the value of g? (it might, but it would help to see the equations behind that assertion)...

One equation is:
T=kx

the tension force, T, in the spring is proportional to the extension x produced.

and another equation is g=(e/m)xk

The gradient of first graph gives the spring constant k and the gradient of the 2nd graph is (e/m) hence I think the gradients of both graphs give the value of g.

I appreciate your help :smile:

What is a spiral spring experiment?

A spiral spring experiment is an experiment that involves studying the behavior of a spiral spring, also known as a helical spring. This type of spring is a coiled wire that can stretch and compress, and is commonly used in various applications such as in clocks, toys, and mechanical devices.

What materials are needed for a spiral spring experiment?

The materials needed for a spiral spring experiment include a spiral spring, a ruler, a weight, a stand, and a stopwatch. Optionally, a graph paper and a Vernier caliper can also be used to measure and record the data obtained from the experiment.

What is the purpose of a spiral spring experiment?

The purpose of a spiral spring experiment is to study the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement or stretch of the spring. This experiment can also be used to determine the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring.

What are the steps to conduct a spiral spring experiment?

The steps to conduct a spiral spring experiment are as follows:

1. Set up the experiment by attaching one end of the spiral spring to a stand and the other end to a weight.
  2. Measure the initial length of the spring using a ruler.
  3. Apply a force to the spring by pulling down the weight and measure the resulting displacement using a ruler or Vernier caliper.
  4. Record the data and repeat the experiment with different weights and measure the corresponding displacements.
  5. Plot a graph of force vs. displacement and determine the spring constant from the slope of the graph.

What are the applications of a spiral spring experiment?

A spiral spring experiment has various applications, including:

• Studying the behavior of springs in mechanical systems.
  • Determining the spring constant for a particular spring.
  • Designing and testing springs for specific applications.
  • Understanding the relationship between force and displacement in elastic materials.
  • Exploring the concept of Hooke's law and its practical applications.