Finding the value of combination using integration

In summary: Sorry for the long time I took to understand everything. I really appreciate all the time you have given to help me. :)In summary, the given problem can be solved by using integration and the binomial theorem. First, we turn the sum into a power series and then use the binomial theorem to write up 100 (1+x)^100. By integrating this expression from 0 to 1, we can get the value of the given sum. It is important to have a good understanding of the binomial theorem and how it can be used to relate to the problem at hand. With the use of this theorem, we can manipulate the given expression and solve the problem successfully.
songoku

Homework Statement

By using integration, find the value of
[tex]100C0+\frac{1}{2}100C1+\frac{1}{3}100C2+\frac{1}{4}100C3+...+\frac{1}{101}100C100[/tex]

Homework Equations

Integration
Combination

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even have any ideas to start. Can this really be solved by using integration?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to turn the sum into a power series, then perform a calculus operation on it which gets rid of those nasty 1/r factors.

recall that for k=1,2,...

$$\frac{1}{k}=\int_0^1 \! x^{k-1} \, \mathrm{dx} \\ \text{or} \\
\frac{1}{k}=\int_0^\infty \! e^{-k \, x} \, \mathrm{dx} $$

use binomial theorem

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
The trick is to turn the sum into a power series, then perform a calculus operation on it which gets rid of those nasty 1/r factors.

lurflurf said:
recall that for k=1,2,...

$$\frac{1}{k}=\int_0^1 \! x^{k-1} \, \mathrm{dx} \\ \text{or} \\
\frac{1}{k}=\int_0^\infty \! e^{-k \, x} \, \mathrm{dx} $$

use binomial theorem

I don't think I get both of your hints :redface:

The question can be written as:

[tex]\Sigma_{r=0}^{100}~100Cr . \frac{1}{r+1}[/tex]

Then, by using Maclaurin series:
[tex]\frac{1}{r+1}=1-r+r^2-r^3+...=\Sigma_{i=0}^{∞}(-r)^i[/tex]

I am not sure what I am doing and the direction I am heading to...

Thanks

songoku said:
I don't think I get both of your hints :redface:

The question can be written as:

[tex]\Sigma_{r=0}^{100}~100Cr . \frac{1}{r+1}[/tex]

My hint was to introduce a variable, something like (but not exactly):
[tex]\Sigma_{r=0}^{100}~100Cr . \frac{1}{r+1} s^r[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Use binomial theorem to write up 100 (1+x)100. Then integrate it, from 0 to 1. What do you get?

ehild

Likes 1 person
my hint was

$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \frac{1}{k+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \int_0^1 \! x^k \, \mathrm{dx}=\int_0^1\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} x^k \, 1^{100-k} \, \mathrm{dx}$$
use the binomial theorem

I am really sorry for taking a long time to reply

haruspex said:
My hint was to introduce a variable, something like (but not exactly):
[tex]\Sigma_{r=0}^{100}~100Cr . \frac{1}{r+1} s^r[/tex]

Sorry I still don't get the hint :redface:

lurflurf said:
my hint was

$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \frac{1}{k+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \int_0^1 \! x^k \, \mathrm{dx}=\int_0^1\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} x^k \, 1^{100-k} \, \mathrm{dx}$$

use the binomial theorem

I don't get the last part. Where 1100-k comes from? And also how to use the binomial theorem for your equation? I only know that binomial theorem is used for expanding. In your equation, what is the term that can be expanded using binomial theorem?

ehild said:
Use binomial theorem to write up 100 (1+x)100. Then integrate it, from 0 to 1. What do you get?

ehild

Wow, expanding (1 + x)100 then integrating it from 0 to 1 gives me the same result as calculating

$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \frac{1}{k+1}$$

So, I can write

$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \frac{1}{k+1}=\int_{0}^{1}{(1+x)^{100}}dx$$

How can we know such sigma form can be written in simple integral form? Do I have to memorize certain form or expression?

Thanks

songoku said:
I am really sorry for taking a long time to reply

Sorry I still don't get the hint :redface:

I don't get the last part. Where 1100-k comes from? And also how to use the binomial theorem for your equation? I only know that binomial theorem is used for expanding. In your equation, what is the term that can be expanded using binomial theorem?

Wow, expanding (1 + x)100 then integrating it from 0 to 1 gives me the same result as calculating

$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \frac{1}{k+1}$$

So, I can write

$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} \, \frac{1}{k+1}=\int_{0}^{1}{(1+x)^{100}}dx$$

How can we know such sigma form can be written in simple integral form? Do I have to memorize certain form or expression?

Thanks

Just use the binomial theorem on (1+x)^100 and integrate terms. Knowing the binomial theorem is all you have to memorize. Knowing how it relates to to your problem is more of a hunch thing.

Likes 1 person
songoku said:
I am using the binomial theorem backwards to combine the terms. I insert 1^(100-k) to make the equation exactly fit the binomial theorem. Of course 1^(100-k)=1 so it does not change anything.
$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} x^k \, 1^{100-k}=(1+x)^{100}$$

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Just use the binomial theorem on (1+x)^100 and integrate terms. Knowing the binomial theorem is all you have to memorize. Knowing how it relates to to your problem is more of a hunch thing.

lurflurf said:
I am using the binomial theorem backwards to combine the terms. I insert 1^(100-k) to make the equation exactly fit the binomial theorem. Of course 1^(100-k)=1 so it does not change anything.
$$\sum_{k=0}^{100} {100 \choose k} x^k \, 1^{100-k}=(1+x)^{100}$$

Oh ok. Now I can see clearer the connection between stating the question in sigma form and then introducing integration to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot for all the help I got in this thread :smile:

Related to Finding the value of combination using integration

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the reverse process of differentiation and is used to solve a variety of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the value of a combination?

The value of a combination using integration refers to the numerical result obtained after integrating a given function over a specific interval. It represents the total area under the curve within that interval.

How is integration used to find the value of a combination?

Integration is used to find the value of a combination by calculating the area under the curve of a function that represents the combination. This is done by breaking down the curve into smaller, simpler shapes and using mathematical formulas to find the area of each shape. The sum of all these areas gives the final value of the combination.

What are some real-world applications of finding the value of combination using integration?

Finding the value of combination using integration has numerous real-world applications. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with varying speed over time, the total work done by a force, and the total profit earned from a business with changing revenue. It is also used in fields such as finance, biology, and chemistry to model and analyze various phenomena.

What are some techniques for finding the value of combination using integration?

Some common techniques for finding the value of combination using integration include the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Additionally, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule can also be used to approximate the value of a combination. The choice of technique depends on the complexity of the function and the interval over which it is being integrated.