Finding the value of g using 2nd Harmonic Frequency

In summary: However, when I plug it into the original equation, it comes out to be the same. I'm not sure where the error is coming from, but it seems like it could be something with the math.
hiver

Homework Statement

As the captain of the scientific team sent to Planet Physics, one of your tasks is to measure g. You have a long, thin wire labeled 1.80 g/m and a 1.30 kg weight. You have your accurate space cadet chronometer but, unfortunately, you seem to have forgotten a meter stick. Undeterred, you first find the midpoint of the wire by folding it in half. You then attach one end of the wire to the wall of your laboratory, stretch it horizontally to pass over a pulley at the midpoint of the wire, then tie the 1.30 kg weight to the end hanging over the pulley. By vibrating the wire, and measuring time with your chronometer, you find that the wire's second harmonic frequency is 100 Hz . Next, with the 1.30 kg weight still tied to one end of the wire, you attach the other end to the ceiling to make a pendulum. You find that the pendulum requires 314 s to complete 200 oscillations. Pulling out your trusty calculator, you get to work.

What value of g will you report back to headquarters?

Homework Equations

• f_n = n/2L*sqrt(F_t/μ)
  • T = 2π*sqrt(L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first took out all relevant information from the problem:
  • μ= 1.8 g/m (0.0018kg/m)
  • m= 1.30kg
  • f_2= 100Hz
  • T= 314s/200 = 1.57s
Then I used the first equation I listed to set up the problem:

f_2 = 2/2L*sqrt(1.3kg*g/0.0018kg/m)

100Hz = 1/L * sqrt(722.2*g)

100*L = sqrt(722.2*g)

10,000*L^2 = 722.2*g

L^2 = 0.07222*g

L = sqrt(0.07222g)

With this value of L, I then plugged into the second equation:

T = 2π*sqrt(L/g)

1.57s = 2π*sqrt(sqrt(0.072222g)/g)

0.062 = sqrt(0.072222g)/g

0.062g = sqrt(0.072222g)

0.0038g^2 = 0.0722g

g = 19 m/s^2

However, this value seems be incorrect. I've went over it with a few others and they are not sure what I'm doing wrong. Since the wire is folded in half (with the other half supporting the weight) I thought that perhaps I was wrong in assuming the μ value would be 0.0018 kg and that it would actually be half (0.0009kg/m), but when I repeated my process the answer still turned out to be wrong. Is there something wrong with my arithmetic or problem solving process? I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong.

I apologize in advanced if the formatting is a little hard to read.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some units of time got lost in the first part.
The mass of the second half of the wire will increase tension a bit. It also influences the period of the pendulum. Both should be small effects, however.

Why does the value seem to be incorrect?
Did you plug the values back into the original formulas to check them?

Likes hiver
>Why does the value seem to be incorrect?
The value seems to be incorrect because I'm doing this homework problem online and it won't accept it as correct.

>Did you plug the values back into the original formulas to check them?
I didn't initially, but I'll do that right now.

T = 2π*sqrt(L/g)

1.57s = 2π*sqrt(L/19m/s^2)

0.062 = L/19

L = 1.186m

f_n = n/2L*sqrt(F_t/μ)

F_t = 1.3kg*19m/s^2= 24.7N

100Hz = 1/1.186m*sqrt(24.7N/0.0018 kg/m)

14065.96 = 24.7/0.0018

25.3 = 24.7So it seems that I am off slightly, but I'm not sure where my error is coming from.

hiver said:
1.57s = 2π*sqrt(sqrt(0.072222g)/g)

0.062 = sqrt(0.072222g)/g

0.0038g^2 = 0.0722g
Those rounding steps could be problematic. You get rounding errors of up to 3%.

Directly with your input equations, I get a result that is different by ~2%.

1. What is the concept of finding the value of g using 2nd harmonic frequency?

The concept involves using the relationship between the period and frequency of a pendulum to calculate the acceleration due to gravity, or g. By measuring the time it takes for a pendulum to complete one cycle at its natural frequency and then again at twice that frequency, we can determine the value of g.

2. Why is the 2nd harmonic frequency used instead of the 1st harmonic frequency?

The 2nd harmonic frequency is used because it produces a more accurate measurement of g. The 1st harmonic frequency, or natural frequency, can be affected by factors such as friction and air resistance, which can skew the results. By using the 2nd harmonic frequency, these external factors are minimized, allowing for a more precise calculation of g.

3. What are the steps involved in finding the value of g using 2nd harmonic frequency?

The first step is to measure the period of the pendulum at its natural frequency. Then, the period is measured again at twice the natural frequency. Next, these two values are used to calculate the average period. Finally, the equation g = 4π²L/T² is used, where L is the length of the pendulum and T is the average period, to determine the value of g.

4. What are the limitations of using the 2nd harmonic frequency method to find the value of g?

The main limitation is that it assumes a perfect pendulum with no external factors affecting its motion. In reality, there will always be some degree of friction and air resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the method may not work well with pendulums that have very small amplitudes or are affected by other factors such as temperature or humidity.

5. How does using a longer pendulum affect the accuracy of the results?

Using a longer pendulum can increase the accuracy of the results because it allows for a larger swing and reduces the effects of air resistance and friction. However, if the pendulum becomes too long, it may start to behave more like a compound pendulum, which can introduce other variables and affect the accuracy of the measurement. It is important to find a balance between a long enough pendulum to minimize external factors and a pendulum that still behaves like a simple pendulum.