Finding the Velocity of a BB on a Magnetic Linear Accelerator

In summary, determining the velocity of a BB on a Magnetic Linear Accelerator involves measuring the distance traveled by the BB and the time it takes to reach the end of the accelerator. The velocity can then be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. The magnetic field of the accelerator helps to accelerate the BB and maintain its velocity throughout its journey. Accurately measuring the velocity of a BB on a Magnetic Linear Accelerator is crucial for understanding its performance and optimizing its design for various applications.
Zystrophys
As is in the title, I am looking for a better way to measure the velocity of a ball bearing (actually only looking for speed) that has been accelerated by a magnetic.

If you don't know what a Magnetic Linear Accelerator is, then this link/video should help:

I already have some success with a slow motion camera, but my Accelerator is around 9 feet long, so keeping the all of it in the frame is very tough while also keeping the distance markers in focus.

Any ideas on what technology I could use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Projectile velocities are usually measured with a chrongraph for ballistic data. Midway has one that works on sub-sonic projectiles for less than $US70. In the US: Gun shops that specialize in reloading supplies handle various kinds of chronographs.

You can also google for 'how to build a chronograph'.

Thanks. I was looking into that option.

The only issue that I also want to measure the velocity of the BB while its still on the track.

Zystrophys said:
As is in the title, I am looking for a better way to measure the velocity of a ball bearing (actually only looking for speed) that has been accelerated by a magnetic.

If you don't know what a Magnetic Linear Accelerator is, then this link/video should help:

I already have some success with a slow motion camera, but my Accelerator is around 9 feet long, so keeping the all of it in the frame is very tough while also keeping the distance markers in focus.

Any ideas on what technology I could use?

Zystrophys said:
Thanks. I was looking into that option.

The only issue that I also want to measure the velocity of the BB while its still on the track.

Welcome to the PF.

Depending on the geometry of the track for the BB, you may be able to use a closely-spaced pair of photointerrupter devices to measure the speed of the passing BB. You can use something as simple as a digital oscilloscope to capture the delta-time between the closely spaced interruptors (say 1cm apart), and calculate the speed from that. Or you could build a larger circuit that measures the speed at several places along the track, using pairs of photointerrupters at each location.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...jg31uZbm3wBWp8X3y-_j8ttW90FY4EyEaxK4y8H2MbohA
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPraf9Ajg31uZbm3wBWp8X3y-_j8ttW90FY4EyEaxK4y8H2MbohA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
An alternative would be with a pendulum. The BB embeds itself in the pendulum which swings up and pushes a marker that stays where it is pushed. Knowing the mass of the ball, pendulum and dimensions you can calculate the kinetic energy of the BB by measuring the potential energy of the pendulum with ball. Convert the height change of the pendulum to PE = KE of ball, then to BB velocity.

1. How does a magnetic linear accelerator work?

A magnetic linear accelerator uses the principles of electromagnetism to accelerate a projectile, such as a BB, along a linear path. The accelerator consists of a series of magnets arranged along a track, with alternating poles facing each other. When an electrical current is applied to the magnets, they create a magnetic field that repels and attracts the projectile, propelling it forward.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a BB on a magnetic linear accelerator?

The velocity of a BB on a magnetic linear accelerator is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnets, the length of the accelerator, and the weight and size of the projectile. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and friction between the BB and the track can also impact the velocity.

3. How is the velocity of a BB measured on a magnetic linear accelerator?

The velocity of a BB on a magnetic linear accelerator can be measured using a high-speed camera or a velocity sensor. The camera captures images of the projectile at various points along the track, and the velocity is calculated by measuring the distance the BB travels in a given time. A velocity sensor uses a laser or infrared beam to detect the speed of the BB as it passes by.

4. What are some real-world applications of magnetic linear accelerators?

Magnetic linear accelerators have a wide range of applications, including in particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and railguns. They are also used in research and development for propulsion systems, as well as in industrial settings for material testing and quality control.

5. How can the velocity of a BB on a magnetic linear accelerator be increased?

The velocity of a BB on a magnetic linear accelerator can be increased by adjusting the strength and configuration of the magnets, as well as the length and curvature of the track. Additionally, reducing air resistance and minimizing friction between the BB and the track can also help to increase the velocity.