What are the differences between Ion Linac and Electron Linac?

In summary, the two types of linear accelerators are the cylindrical waveguide type for electrons and the equipotential surface type for ions.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I've been reading out of curiosity about linear accelerators to get a general ideal of the principles behind them. My main concern is that, as far as I could tell, there are two different types (I'm sure there are more than two, but I want to keep things simple) of Linear Accelerators (Linac).

The first type, usually used for electrons, is simply a cylindrical waveguide where an EM wave is propagating (generally TM_010). Irises are added to "slow down" the phase velocity of the wave to match the velocity of the electrons (http://web.mit.edu/course/22/22.09/ClassHandouts/Charged Particle Accel/CHAP12.PDF pag 393):
Schermata 2020-05-23 alle 16.09.57.png
(taken from a YT video)
This type of Linac is used for electrons since they posses a very high velocity (due to their low mass) and relativistic speed are easely achieved.

The second type of Linac, used for ions, is the made by a lots of cavities connected to an alternating potential source as sketched below:
Schermata 2020-05-23 alle 16.22.30.png

(http://web.mit.edu/course/22/22.09/ClassHandouts/Charged Particle Accel/CHAP14.PDF pag 453)
Here, each cavity is an equipotential surface so no E field is inside. The ion is accelerated only in gaps between cavities and the whole structure support a standing wave (not a propagating wave as in the first case). I see no waveguide here, but probably the whole structure could be enclosed in a cylindrical conductor (thus forming a waveguide)... I don't know.

Is what I said correct ? Because I am really confused. If I keep reading those document I run into Traveling wave Linac and Standing wave Linac, but I don't understand if they are referring to what I already said or if there are other types of Linac which I am neglecting... I am pretty confused right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you've got the basic right.
I think a better and more accessible resource than those MIT handouts is the lecture notes from the major accelerator schools, e.g. the CERN Accelerator School (CAS) or the Joint Universities Accelerator School (JUAS). In [1,2] you have the lectures from JUAS on linacs. The names traveling wave and standing wave are pretty descriptive of what's going on, but the linked lecture slides gives a very nice overview of the different kinds. Also contains nicer pictures! (The MIT handout you linked is woeful, in my opinion).

[1] https://indico.cern.ch/event/850755/contributions/3576234/
[2] https://indico.cern.ch/event/850755/contributions/3576063/

Likes dRic2 and BvU
Sorry, I was very busy yesterday... couldn't reply. Anyway, thanks for the resources.

What is an Ion Linac and how does it work?

An Ion Linac, short for Ion Linear Accelerator, is a type of particle accelerator used to accelerate ions to high speeds. It works by using a series of electric fields to accelerate and focus the ions as they travel through a long, straight tube called a waveguide. The ions are then released at high speeds, often close to the speed of light.

What is the difference between an Ion Linac and an Electron Linac?

The main difference between an Ion Linac and an Electron Linac is the type of particles they accelerate. An Ion Linac accelerates ions, which are atoms or molecules that have lost or gained electrons, while an Electron Linac accelerates electrons, which are negatively charged particles. Additionally, the designs and configurations of the two types of accelerators may vary depending on their intended use.

What are the applications of Ion Linac and Electron Linac?

Ion Linacs and Electron Linacs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and technology. They are commonly used in nuclear physics research, medical treatments such as cancer therapy, industrial processes such as material analysis and modification, and even in space exploration to propel spacecrafts.

What are the advantages of using an Ion Linac or Electron Linac?

One of the main advantages of using Ion Linacs and Electron Linacs is their ability to accelerate particles to very high speeds, allowing for precise control and manipulation of these particles. They also have high energy efficiency and can produce intense beams of particles, making them useful for a variety of applications. Additionally, they can be designed to accelerate a wide range of particles, providing flexibility for different research and industrial needs.

What are the potential challenges in building and operating Ion Linacs and Electron Linacs?

Building and operating Ion Linacs and Electron Linacs can be a complex and expensive undertaking. These accelerators require precise engineering and sophisticated control systems to function properly. Additionally, the high energies involved in particle acceleration can pose safety risks, requiring strict safety protocols and specialized training for operators. Maintenance and repairs can also be costly and time-consuming.