Finding the vertex, y-intercept and axis of symmetry

In summary, the individual was lost and confused and was having a problem with a quadratic equation. They were able to solve the equation but were lost on how to find the vertex, y intercept and axis of symmetry. They were given a general form and were able to find the vertex, y intercept and axis of symmetry using the completed square form.
MammaOrnelas
I am lost and confused. I have been on the same problem for 2 hours. I know all the formulas, but I'm not doing something right...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a general equation [tex]y = a(x-b)^2 + c[/tex], the vertex is (b, c), the axis of symmetry x = b and the y-intercept is obtained by setting x = 0.

That form of a quadratic equation is called the completed square form.

Is it okay if you call me? I have soooooooooooooooo much homework left to do and my final is tomorrow. I have been stuck for the last 5 hours...

I'd love to... but I'm from the other side of the world and I doubt I can afford the telephone bills (Worried)

I'd be very happy to help you as much as I can here, should you have any problems.

I think it will be easier on both parts if you can talk me through it.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:07 ----------

the problem is f(x)= -3(x-6)^2-4 I know I have to set it equal to zero. It wants the vertex, y intercept and axis of symmetry. I don't know how to do this.

I had to miss three days of class last week due to a death of a family member in another state. I am extremely lost.....

Okay, from what I gave you earlier, can you see that:

a = -3
b = 6
c = -4

?

sorta...i know that when its ex: x^2+4x+8, i know which ones are a, b, and c. But I don't see how you could tell which one was a b and c in that problem. Do I have to solve the problem first?

Not at all! And you'll see that it's just like your example x^2 + 4x + 8.

That one general form is: [tex]y = ax^2 + bx +c[/tex]
Your example: [tex]y = x^2 + 4x + 8[/tex]

Which makes: a = 1, b = 4 and c = 8.

In the completed square form, we have:
[tex]y = a(x-b)^2 + c[/tex]
And in your problem: [tex]y= -3(x-6)^2-4[/tex]

In the same way, we have: a = -3, b = 6 and c = 4.

Does that make things clearer?

And subsequently, remember what I said in my first post here:
Vertex = (b, c)
Axis of symmetry = x = b
y-intercept is obtained by putting x = 0.

makes a little bit more sense...i was thinking since the (...) part was squared, I had to solve it first... I rememberd that b is what ever makes the (...) = 0 and that was it. Okay...lemme go try and work this problem. It's on mymathlab.com and I hate it! Thanks for the tips...brb

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

I got all of it right but it said that the y-intercept is (0,-112)...how did they get that

Okay, let's see:

[tex]y = -3(x-6)^2-4[/tex]

By putting x = 0, we get:

[tex]y = -3(0-6)^2-4[/tex]

[tex]y = -3(36)-4[/tex]

[tex]y = -108-4[/tex]

[tex]y = -117[/tex]

Wasn't that easy? (Wink)

I see now...i was making the whole parethense 0 and getting -7 for my answer...Okay...it gave me a new problem...let me try it!

Related to Finding the vertex, y-intercept and axis of symmetry

1. What is the vertex of a function?

The vertex of a function is the point on the graph where the function reaches its maximum or minimum value, depending on the direction of the parabola. It is also known as the turning point of the function.

2. How do I find the vertex of a quadratic function?

To find the vertex of a quadratic function in standard form (y = ax^2 + bx + c), you can use the formula x = -b/2a to find the x-coordinate of the vertex. Once you have the x-coordinate, you can plug it into the function to find the y-coordinate.

3. What is the y-intercept of a function?

The y-intercept of a function is the point on the graph where the function crosses the y-axis. It is represented by the ordered pair (0, y) on the graph.

4. How do I find the y-intercept of a quadratic function?

To find the y-intercept of a quadratic function in standard form, you can simply plug in 0 for x in the function and solve for y. The resulting value will be the y-intercept, represented by the ordered pair (0, y).

5. What is the axis of symmetry of a function?

The axis of symmetry of a function is a vertical line that divides the graph into two symmetric halves. It is always located at the x-coordinate of the vertex and is represented by the equation x = h, where h is the x-coordinate of the vertex.