Finding the WORK done by a crane in lifting a load

In summary, in this conversation, a crane lifting a 500N load to the top of a building from point A to B is discussed. The known variables are the displacement of 50m, horizontal distance of 30m, and vertical distance of 40m. The equations used to calculate the work done by the crane are work done = force * distance covered in the direction of force (W=FS) and force = mass * acceleration (F=ma). It is determined that the crane exerts a force in both the upward and horizontal directions, but the horizontal force can be ignored due to the negligible movement and friction. Therefore, the work done is calculated by multiplying the force of 500N by the
vinci

Homework Statement

A crane lifts its 500N load to the top of the building from A to B. Distances are shown on the diagram. Calculate how much work is done by the crane

IMG_2304.jpg

Known variables:
AB= displacement= 50m
AC=horizontal distance=30m
BC=vertical distance=40m

2. Homework Equations

Work done= force * distance covered in direction of force
W=F.S

Force=mass* acceleration
F=ma

Hypotenuse= Root ( Adjacent^2 + Opposite^2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the diagram it can be seen that there the DISPLACEMENT is AB or 50 M. The load is 500N which will require a force in upward direction of 500N. I am confused with which variables to use but nevertheless
Work done in upward direction(BC):
W=FS
=500N*40M=20000NM

Work done in horizontal direction(AC):
W=FS
=500N*30M=15000NM I'm unsure about this one if 500N force will be required because we are not pushing a body on the ground and not countering a friction of 500N

Work done in AB?
W=FS
=500N * 50M =25000NM
(This can't be right can it? Because from what I think the crane will first lift the weight up and then rotate)
This is a simple high school question and I might be overcomplicating it but I am really confused which variables to use since the question should have ONE answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Vinci, :welcome:

Look carefully at your first relevant equation ! The only force the crane exerts on the load is in which direction ?

BvU said:
Hello Vinci, :welcome:

Look carefully at your first relevant equation ! The only force the crane exerts on the load is in which direction ?
The crane exerts a force in two directions. An upward one and then a horizontal one. Am I right?

You can ignore the horizontal one: the sideways movement can be executed with negligibly small force (in theory. By doing it real slow and having a minimum of friction - something that isn't extremely realistic, but that's what they mean here).

Likes PhanthomJay
So I should only be concerned with the motion on y-axis or the one due to 500N force and the distance covered by it is 40M making the answer 20000NM, right?
Why has the questioniare even mentioned the two other distances then/

To make you think thoroughly about this "in the direction of the force" principle :smile: .

Likes PhanthomJay and vinci
I solved this question from the AS level book by calculating angle (theta) as in by tan of theta n then apply the Fdcos@ equation taking d as 50
Coz tension is working against gravity no? So the crane is moving both vertically and horizontally

@Ahmer: cosTHEETA calculates the horizontal component of the force. I don't believe that's the right answer.

Tension is pulling against gravity. Physically, the horizontal component is not doing any work because the displacement comes for free: there is no opposing force (no horizontal component of gravity -- and we agree to ignore the horizontal acceleration).

In such tasks, many things are simplified, because otherwise it becomes too difficult, one then also no longer sees the principle represented. So there is no friction, which is why the horizontal displacement can be done with zero force. And if force F=0, F*s is also 0.

Eberhard said:
In such tasks, many things are simplified, because otherwise it becomes too difficult, one then also no longer sees the principle represented. So there is no friction, which is why the horizontal displacement can be done with zero force. And if force F=0, F*s is also 0.
Note that this homework thread is six years old!

Hello. I also don't get this question. Even though I have read the comments posted on this post,I still don't get it. Can anyone please explain me why we are using the vertical height of the building rather than the other two ?

haha0p1 said:
Hello. I also don't get this question. Even though I have read the comments posted on this post,I still don't get it. Can anyone please explain me why we are using the vertical height of the building rather than the other two ?
:welcome:
Are you asking whether it takes just as much work to move an object horizontally as it does to lift it vertically?

PeroK said:
:welcome:
Are you asking whether it takes just as much work to move an object horizontally as it does to lift it vertically?
No, I am asking something else. BTW, I feel i have understood why we are taking 40m when we are calculating the WORK done by the CRANE. the 500N of the load is due to Gravity and since the gravity is acting in the vertical direction, we are taking 40 m(i.e the vertical height of the building). Is this logic correct?

haha0p1 said:
No, I am asking something else. BTW, I feel i have understood why we are taking 40m when we are calculating the WORK done by the CRANE. the 500N of the load is due to Gravity and since the gravity is acting in the vertical direction, we are taking 40 m(i.e the vertical height of the building). Is this logic correct?
Yes, but that's not logic, that's physics!

1. How is the work done by a crane in lifting a load calculated?

The work done by a crane in lifting a load is calculated by multiplying the weight of the load by the vertical distance it is lifted. This can be expressed as W = mgΔh, where W is the work done, m is the mass of the load, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and Δh is the vertical distance lifted.

2. What factors affect the amount of work done by a crane in lifting a load?

The amount of work done by a crane in lifting a load is affected by several factors, including the weight of the load, the distance it is lifted, the speed at which it is lifted, and the efficiency of the crane.

3. How does the angle of the crane's boom affect the work done in lifting a load?

The angle of the crane's boom affects the work done in lifting a load because it changes the direction of the force exerted on the load. The greater the angle, the more the force is directed upwards, resulting in more work being done to lift the load.

4. Can the work done by a crane in lifting a load be negative?

No, the work done by a crane in lifting a load cannot be negative. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and both force and displacement are positive quantities. Therefore, the work done will always be a positive value.

5. How does the weight of the crane itself impact the work done in lifting a load?

The weight of the crane itself does not directly impact the work done in lifting a load. However, a heavier crane may require more energy to operate, leading to a higher overall cost of lifting the load. Additionally, a heavier crane may have a lower lifting capacity, which would limit the size of the load it can lift.