Finding the zero vector of a sinusoidal set

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of addition and scalar multiplication in a set of functions of the form "a sin(x+ b)". It also explores the concept of a zero vector in this set and the process of finding specific vectors within it. The conclusion is that the zero vector in this set is the zero function, and that the only way for a sinusoidal wave to be zero is if its amplitude is zero. The conversation ends with a thank you for the clarification.
Apricity
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my question and for your help. I really appreciate it.

The question is set out as follows:

Given the set

𝑆 = {π‘Ž sin (π‘₯+𝑏) | π‘Ž, 𝑏 E R}.

The addition of elements 𝒔1, 𝒔2 ∈ 𝑆 is defined as follows:

𝒔1 +𝒔2 =π‘Ž1 sin (π‘₯+𝑏1)+π‘Ž2 sin (π‘₯+𝑏2)

=(π‘Ž1cosπ‘₯sin𝑏1 +π‘Ž1sinπ‘₯cos𝑏1)+(π‘Ž2cosπ‘₯sin𝑏2 +π‘Ž2sinπ‘₯cos𝑏2)
= (π‘Ž1 sin 𝑏1 + π‘Ž2 sin 𝑏2) cos π‘₯ + (π‘Ž1 cos 𝑏1 + π‘Ž2 cos 𝑏2) sin π‘₯
= π‘Ž3 sin(π‘₯ + 𝑏3),

Where
π‘Ž3 = βˆšπ‘Ž12 + π‘Ž22 + 2π‘Ž1π‘Ž2 cos(𝑏1 βˆ’ 𝑏2), and
tan𝑏3 = π‘Ž1sin𝑏1+π‘Ž2sin𝑏2/π‘Ž1 cos 𝑏1+π‘Ž2 cos 𝑏2

The scalar multiplication is defined as:

πœ†π’”1 = πœ†π‘Ž1 sin(π‘₯ + 𝑏1).

Find the following vectors in 𝑆:
οΏΌοΏΌa. The zero vector
b. The negative of
c. The vector
d. The vector
e. The vectorI understand that these are phasors with the same frequency and different amplitude and phase. I also understand the definition of the zero vector which is:

Given a vector u, and a vector v,
u+v=u=v+u

I just don't know where to go from here to find the requested vectors. I have researched online for two days and I can't seem to understand the process. Please help me!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
functions of the form "a sin(x+ b)" are a subset of the set of "all functions" and the addition you describe is the "usual" addition of functions- that is, this is a subspace of the space of all functions and so has the same "zero vector", the "zero function", f(x)= 0 for all x. Specifically that is the function a sin(x+ b) with a= 0.

Thanks for your reply HallsofIvy..That was my conclusion too... I thought the only way a sinusoidal wave can be zero is if it's amplitude is zero, but somehow I was complicating myself unnecessarily... It just seemed too simple ...

Thanks again

1. What is a sinusoidal set?

A sinusoidal set is a set of values that follow a sinusoidal pattern, meaning they can be represented by a sine or cosine function. These values are typically plotted on a graph and show a repetitive wave-like pattern.

2. What is the zero vector in a sinusoidal set?

The zero vector in a sinusoidal set is a vector that has a magnitude of 0 and a direction of 0 degrees. In other words, it has no magnitude or direction and is represented by the point (0,0) on a graph.

3. Why is finding the zero vector important in a sinusoidal set?

Finding the zero vector in a sinusoidal set is important because it allows us to determine the starting point or phase of the sinusoidal pattern. It also helps us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the set.

4. How do you find the zero vector of a sinusoidal set?

To find the zero vector of a sinusoidal set, you can set the equation equal to 0 and solve for the variable. For example, in the equation y = sin(x), the zero vector would be found at x = 0.

5. Can there be more than one zero vector in a sinusoidal set?

No, there can only be one zero vector in a sinusoidal set. This is because the zero vector represents the starting point or phase of the pattern, and having more than one would contradict this definition.