Finding torsion constant of the wire?

In summary, the torsional pendulum problem involves a disk of mass 450 g and radius 3.5 cm hanging from a wire. The disk is rotated through an angle of 45 degrees and released from rest, oscillating at a frequency of 2.5 Hz. To find the torsion constant of the wire, we use the equation T = -k * theta and the inertia equation I = 0.5 * m * r^2. After plugging in the appropriate values, we get the answer of 0.068 N-m/rad, which is option B.
jazzymanstan

Homework Statement

A torsional pendulum consists of a disk of mass 450 g and radius 3.5 cm, hanging from a wire. If the disk is rotated through an angle of 45o and released from rest and oscillates with a frequency of 2.5 Hz, what is the torsion constant of the wire?
  • A :

1.7 x 10-3 N-m/rad
  • B :

0.068 N-m/rad
  • C :

34 N-m/rad
  • D :

5.4 N-m/rad
  • E :

0.86 N-m/rad

Homework Equations

Torque = -k(torsion constant) * theta
Torque = r * F*sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

So i had to google "torsion constant equation" because i couldn't find an equation in my book so I am hoping this is the right equation. Then i used the second torque equation to find torque. I did T = .035m * (.45kg * 9.8(gravity))*sin(45) = .10914.

Then i plugged the answer for T into the first equation T = -k *theta. So .10914 = -k * (pi/4), i converted 45 degrees to pi/4 radians. Then I divided .10914/(pi/4) = .13896.

So my overall answer was .13896. This is not one the options above so i know I did not do something correctly. I'm almost positive its from not having the right equations for the questions.

Advice would be great, thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
i solved it myself but i will leave it here for other people if they need help. ignoring all my work above, it is best to use equation
Image550.gif
. Then you use the appropriate inertia equation, which in this problem you'll use I = .5*m*r^2. And then for T, use T = 1/f. Plug those equations into the original equation, and then plug the numbers in for the correct variables, and you should get the right answer. (mine was .068 N-m/rad)

Attachments

• Image550.gif
    Image550.gif
    200 bytes · Views: 2,284

1. What is the definition of torsion constant?

The torsion constant, also known as the torsional stiffness, is a measure of a material's resistance to twisting under an applied torque. It is typically denoted by the symbol J and has units of force times length squared (Nm^2).

2. How is the torsion constant of a wire determined?

The torsion constant of a wire can be determined experimentally by using a torsion pendulum or torsion balance. The wire is attached to a fixed point on one end and a known weight is hung from the other end, causing the wire to twist. The angle of twist and the applied torque are measured, and the torsion constant can be calculated using the equation J = (T * L) / θ, where T is the applied torque, L is the length of the wire, and θ is the angle of twist.

3. What factors can affect the value of the torsion constant?

The value of the torsion constant can be affected by the material properties of the wire, such as its diameter, length, and modulus of elasticity. The shape and geometry of the wire can also play a role, as well as any imperfections or irregularities in the wire's structure. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and applied load can also impact the torsion constant.

4. Why is it important to know the torsion constant of a wire?

Knowing the torsion constant of a wire is important for understanding its mechanical properties and behavior. It is also crucial for designing and engineering structures or machines that involve twisting or rotating components. Additionally, the torsion constant is used in calculations for determining the stress and strain on a wire under torsional loading.

5. Can the torsion constant of a wire change over time?

Yes, the torsion constant of a wire can change over time due to factors such as material fatigue, corrosion, or changes in temperature. These changes can affect the wire's mechanical properties and alter its resistance to torsion. Therefore, it is important to regularly monitor and test the torsion constant of a wire to ensure its reliability and safety in applications.