Finding Value of \sum_{i=1}^{n}: Intro to Integration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of the sum \sum_{i=1}^{n} (i^2 + 3i + 4) by separating it into individual sums and using the Riemann sums for i^2 and i. The question is whether these individual sums can be added together as fractions.
mateomy
We're going over the intro stuff to integration and we are being asked to find the value of the sums...

Here's the problem I am getting stuck on...

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^{n} (i^2 + 3i + 4)
[/tex]

I know that I have to separate the individual sums, so I put it into this form...

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^{n} i^2 + 3\sum_{i=1}^{n} i + \sum_{i=1}^{n} 4
[/tex]

And then I know the individual forms of the Riemann sums of i^2 and i, etc.

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^{n} i^2 = \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} etc, etc...
[/tex]

am I just adding these together as if they were fractions (finding common denominators, etc)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you could just put them together like fractions.

Awesome, thanks.

Related to Finding Value of \sum_{i=1}^{n}: Intro to Integration

1. What is the purpose of finding the value of ∑i=1n?

The purpose of finding the value of i=1n is to calculate the sum of a series of numbers from 1 to n. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculating areas under curves and finding the average of a set of numbers.

2. How is "Finding Value of ∑i=1n" related to integration?

Integration is the process of finding the area under a curve, and "Finding Value of i=1n" is one of the methods used to calculate this area. By using this method, we can approximate the value of an integral and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the formula for finding the value of ∑i=1n?

The formula for finding the value of i=1n is n(n+1)/2. This formula is derived from the arithmetic series formula Sn = n(a1+an)/2, where a1 is the first term and an is the last term of the series.

4. What are some applications of "Finding Value of ∑i=1n" in real life?

"Finding Value of i=1n" has many applications in real life. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by a moving object, the total cost of a series of purchases, or the total amount of time spent on a task over a period of time.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Finding Value of ∑i=1n" to solve integration problems?

While "Finding Value of i=1n" is a useful method for approximating the value of an integral, it does have its limitations. This method only works for certain types of functions and may not provide an accurate result for more complex integrals. In these cases, other integration techniques, such as the Riemann sum or the trapezoidal rule, may be more suitable.