Finding Variables within Matricies Question

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for help with finding two values for k in a multiplication problem involving three matrices. The other person suggests multiplying the matrices again to get a 1x1 matrix at the end, and provides a reference for the correct product.
Emma O'shea
:confused: Hi There!
I have a quick question and I would really appreciate some guidence!

I have three matrix multiplied together like so

(horizontal matrix 1 k)(2x2 matrix 3 4 -2 1)(vertical matrix 1 k) equals 11

I'm asked to find two values for k.
I've tried multiplying them out but i end up with something like the vertical matrix 3-2k 4k+k^2 equals 11. Not sure what to do from there... Any ideas
!
Thanks for your replies

Physics news on Phys.org
Try mulitplying them out again: you should have a 1x1 matrix at the end (ie a scalar): you are multiplying 1x2, 2x2, 2x1 matrices, so the answer is 1x1.

Just for reference, is the product
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&k\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}3 & 4 \\ -2 & 1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ k\end{array}\right)= 11[/tex]?

If so, as matt grime says, go ahead and multiply it out. The first product
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}3 & 4 \\ -2 & 1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}1 \\ k\end{array}\right)[/tex]
will be a vertical 1x2 matrix and then the product of horizontal and vertical matrices is a number (technically, a 1 by 1 matrix).
You will get a quadratic equation for k.

Hi

Ya that's the one!
Thanks guys!
Much appreciated!

1. What is a variable within a matrix?

A variable within a matrix is an unknown value that is represented by a letter or symbol. It is used to represent a quantity that can vary within the matrix.

2. How do you identify variables within a matrix?

Variables within a matrix can be identified by looking for letters or symbols that are used to represent unknown values. These values may be found in the entries, rows, or columns of the matrix.

3. Why are variables important in matrices?

Variables are important in matrices because they allow us to represent and solve systems of equations. By assigning variables to unknown values within a matrix, we can use algebraic methods to find their values and solve for the entire system.

4. Can a matrix have more than one variable?

Yes, a matrix can have more than one variable. In fact, most systems of equations will have multiple variables that need to be solved for. These variables can be represented by different letters or symbols within the matrix.

5. How do you solve for variables within a matrix?

To solve for variables within a matrix, we can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or Gaussian elimination. These methods use algebraic operations to manipulate the matrix and isolate the variables, allowing us to find their values.