Finding vectors needed to cancel out given sets of forces

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving forces and vectors A, B, and C. The asker is having trouble finding the missing information for vectors A and B, but realizes that the x and y components for vector C are positive even though its direction is in the third quadrant. The responder suggests using the equation ##\vec{F}_a+\vec{F}_b+\vec{F}_c=0## to solve the problem. The asker later confirms that they have found the solution.
aron silvester

Homework Statement

For this assignment, I am given sets of forces and asked to solve for the force(s) needed to cancel them out. For this case, I am asked to solve for the missing parts of vectors A, B and C. I was only given vector C's Mass and Direction to start with, but I managed to get all of its other information. What I'm having trouble finding is the other information for vectors A and B. I know that since the direction of vector A is 0 degrees, that it's y component is 0. Same logic goes to how I know that the x component of vector B is 0. Also, I just noticed something, why are the x and y component for vector C positive if the direction of the vector is in the third quadrant, 240 degrees?

Homework Equations

It's all in part 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

case 4.jpeg
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
aron silvester said:
Also, I just noticed something, why are the x and y component for vector C positive if the direction of the vector is in the third quadrant, 240 degrees?
You wrote the components down, so you should be able to answer this question. There is an easy way to look at this problem. You have
Note that ##\vec{F}_a+\vec{F}_b+\vec{F}_c=0## means that ##\vec{F}_c=-\vec{F}_a-\vec{F}_b##
Can you do something with this?

kuruman said:
You wrote the components down, so you should be able to answer this question. There is an easy way to look at this problem. You have
Note that ##\vec{F}_a+\vec{F}_b+\vec{F}_c=0## means that ##\vec{F}_c=-\vec{F}_a-\vec{F}_b##
Can you do something with this?
I figured it out already. I should have replied to this thread sooner. Thanks!

1. What are vectors and forces?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, commonly represented by arrows. Forces are vectors that represent the push or pull of an object.

2. Why do we need to find vectors to cancel out forces?

In order to achieve equilibrium, where all forces acting on an object cancel out, we need to find vectors that can counterbalance the given set of forces.

3. How do we determine the magnitude and direction of the vectors needed to cancel out forces?

We can use the principles of vector addition and subtraction to determine the magnitude and direction of the vectors needed. By setting up a system of equations, we can solve for the unknown vectors.

4. Can we always find vectors to cancel out any set of forces?

Yes, as long as the forces are acting on a single object and are not in rotational motion, we can always find vectors to cancel them out and achieve equilibrium.

5. Are there any real-life applications for finding vectors to cancel out forces?

Yes, this concept is commonly used in engineering and physics to design structures and machines that can withstand and balance out external forces. It is also used in sports, such as balancing weights on a seesaw or snowboarding down a slope.