Finding Velocity: Ek of the Trolley

• Thread starter haha0p1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the falling mass has gravitational potential energy before the fall, which is converted to kinetic energy during the fall. Using the correct value of v, the kinetic energy formula for the trolley gives an answer of 3.7J, which is the correct answer. The mistake was made in using the incorrect value of 0.5 for the mass in the kinetic energy formula.
haha0p1
Homework Statement
The diagram shows a trolley being pulled from rest along a horizontal table by a falling mass. The trolley mass is 1.5 kg and the falling mass is 0.50 kg. The mass falls through 1.0m. what is the maximum kinetic energy of the trolley?
Relevant Equations
Ek= 1/2 mv²
Ek of the trolley = 1/2×1.5×v²
How are we going to find the v (velocity) to put into the formula?

Attachments

• IMG_20230102_120913.jpg
    IMG_20230102_120913.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 113
Physics news on Phys.org
What form of energy does the falling mass have at the beginning of the experiment? What form of energy does the falling mass have at the end?

Remember that Energy is conserved, but it can change form.

Likes haha0p1
Before the fall, the falling mass has gravitational potential energy and when the mass is falling, that gravitational potential energy is changing to Kinetic energy So,
Gravitational potential energy=mg∆h=0.5×10×1=5J
Kinetic energy=Gravitational potential energy
5=1/2 mv²=1/2 ×0.5×v²= 0.25×v²
v=√5÷0.25=4.5
Using the value of v=4.5 for the kinectic energy formula of the trolley, we have:
Ek=1/2×1.5×4.5²=15 J. My answer is still coming 15J while the correct answer is 3.7J. Kindly tell where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
haha0p1 said:
Before the fall, the falling mass has gravitational potential energy and when the mass is falling, that gravitational potential energy is changing to Kinetic energy So,
Gravitational potential energy=mg∆h=0.5×10×1=5J
Kinetic energy=Gravitational potential energy
v=√5÷0.25=4.5
Using the value of v=4.5 for the kinectic energy formula of the trolley, we have:
Ek=1/2×1.5×4.5²=15 J. My answer is still coming 15J while the correct answer is 3.7J. Kindly tell where am I going wrong?

I'm pretty sure the 0.5 I've highlighted in red is where you went wrong.
The change in potential energy to kinetic energy imparted by the falling weight is transferred to both the trolley and the weight.

Likes nasu and haha0p1
OmCheeto said:

I'm pretty sure the 0.5 I've highlighted in red is where you went wrong.
The change in potential energy to kinetic energy imparted by the falling weight is transferred to both the trolley and the weight.
5=1/2 mv²=1/2 ×(0.5+1.5)×v²= 1×v²
v=√5=2.24
Using the value of v=2.24 for the kinectic energy formula of the trolley, we have:
Ek=1/2×1.5×2.24²=3.7J
Yes, Now I am getting the right answer.

Likes berkeman and OmCheeto

Related to Finding Velocity: Ek of the Trolley

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

What is Ek of the trolley?

Ek is the symbol for kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a trolley, Ek refers to the kinetic energy of the trolley as it moves at a certain velocity.

How is Ek of the trolley related to its velocity?

The Ek of the trolley is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity of the trolley increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Conversely, if the velocity decreases, the kinetic energy will also decrease.

Why is finding velocity important?

Finding velocity is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It allows us to understand the motion of objects and make predictions about their behavior. Velocity is also a crucial factor in determining the amount of energy an object possesses, which has practical applications in areas such as transportation and sports.